Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What information will you send to aliens?

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    Do you know guys that every satelites have some note that contains

all about the earth and human? It is to inform our information to aliens.

And many people tried to infrom human's culture such as music and some great pictures

and a lot of languages including English.

And I thought that it would be just wasting time because if the aliens cannot realized them,

I mean If the dimension aliens live and our's are different, all the efforts to communicate

with them would just spend our times and lots of money.

Isnt it?

I heard that the real dimension univesrse has is 11-dimensional space. So any type of

combination of dimensions occurs in senses of beings, human has 4-dim.

I want to hear your opinions and how do you make a meassage if you try to send it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    I give them the addresses of people I don't like and then taunt them to take me away.

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    I appreciate your kind regards,

then you will be the first one whose address is exposed by aliens.

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4
    I honestly think that music would be the best form of communication. Same with mathematics. They are both universal languages.

Music is essentially heard everywhere. Flies buzz in the key of F haha

6. Jun 6, 2010 #5
    Appreciating music requires specific functions in the brain. Some people are unable to hear music in a normal sense - it just sounds like noise, their brain doesn't recognize pattern or melody or anything else associated with music. So there's no reason to think that alien beings would have a sense of music like our own.

I think mathematics is the best way to communicate, but communication with alien beings could very well be impossible.

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    Well any attempt at speech is pretty well useless, how will the aliens understand English? Math is likely the best way. Even on earth some of us think of music differently than others. And what if the aliens are deaf? However even Mathematical communication could well be impossible. Their numeric system could well differ from ours. Videos without sound would possible work, provided the aliens could see.
    cheers, BT

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7
    Not just any maths since we use a numerical system, and all the equations are in English or Greek letters.

Geometry would be a good way. A single image of the Mandelbrot set should catch anyone's attention who knows about mathematics.

9. Jun 13, 2010 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct, MickeyW! Geometrical representations would be recognized by any advanced civilization - which is why the nuclear fine constant, Ha spectral frequency and various other fundamental constants were geometrically encoded on the pioneer probe. Music was also encoded as it too is very geometrical and not naturally occuring. We also included the location and frequency of various pulsars in the galaxy to enable them to precisely determine out location. That should remove any fears they might harbor of us being a threat. Sort of like adding your credit card and pin number to your facebook profile.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook