What is a Hard Science and Which Undergraduate Degrees Fall Under This Category?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 14K views
Cod
Messages
325
Reaction score
4
Definition of a "Hard Science"

I was reading through some master's program admissions guides and came across this statement twice under the requirements: "An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university". The first two parts are self-explanatory; however, I'm unsure what a "hard science" is. What undergraduate degrees fall into this category? More specifically, does computer science classify as a "hard science"?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


It basically means "quantitative" instead of "qualitative" (or soft).

I don't think "computer science," despite the name, is actually a science at all, but I could be dramatically wrong about that.
 


Cod said:
however, I'm unsure what a "hard science" is. What undergraduate degrees fall into this category?
Hard science includes subjects such as physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, geology, ... In other words, the natural sciences. Contrast that to the soft sciences that embodies subjects such as sociology, archaeology, ...

More specifically, does computer science classify as a "hard science"?
No.

It does however qualify as mathematics or engineering, so you are in luck.
 


Thanks for the quick replies.

So to be sure I understand, if I earn my BS in Computer Science, I can apply to programs which require a "hard science" undergraduate degree?

Guess I'm just a bit confused since computer science is in a whole different category of science. Some schools have CS as part of the engineering department while others have specific IT/computer departments. Bottom line, I'd like to apply to a masters program in aerospace engineering or computer/electrical engineering. Also, I believe it helps, I will have a minor in mathematics upon graduation.
 


Cod said:
Thanks for the quick replies.

So to be sure I understand, if I earn my BS in Computer Science, I can apply to programs which require a "hard science" undergraduate degree?

Guess I'm just a bit confused since computer science is in a whole different category of science. Some schools have CS as part of the engineering department while others have specific IT/computer departments. Bottom line, I'd like to apply to a masters program in aerospace engineering or computer/electrical engineering. Also, I believe it helps, I will have a minor in mathematics upon graduation.

Some people would consider it a hard science, some wouldn't. If you aren't sure, you could email the program-- though I would say you should probably be fine applying to such programs.
 


Cod said:
So to be sure I understand, if I earn my BS in Computer Science, I can apply to programs which require a "hard science" undergraduate degree?
Nothing is stopping you from applying. Whether the school pays any attention to your application, no telling. Remember that those are minimum requirements. All that that means is that an application that lacks those minimum requirements will be tossed without prejudice.

Guess I'm just a bit confused since computer science is in a whole different category of science. Some schools have CS as part of the engineering department while others have specific IT/computer departments. Bottom line, I'd like to apply to a masters program in aerospace engineering or computer/electrical engineering. Also, I believe it helps, I will have a minor in mathematics upon graduation.
Yeah, I forgot about the plethora of IT departments that have sprung up since I graduated. Anyone who goes for an advanced degree in a discipline different from their undergrad degree is going to be on a bit of a reduced footing compared to other candidates. Someone with an IT degree will have a particular tough road getting into an aerospace or electrical engineering program. If that's you, you might want to think of taking some physics and engineering classes. Having a solid mathematics background is a good start, but that is all it is: a start.
 


Simply contact the programs you are interested in and ask. As has been stated, definitions vary and you can't go by what the degree is called to define whether it's a hard science or not. The real question is, how many physics/chemistry/biology courses have you had to take? If it's like 3 or 4, you a probably aren't even close to prepared for an engineering masters degree. From what I've heard, computer engineering and computer science are very different fields so I think even that will be a problem.