Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is different about you in one place than you from another place?

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    If you are the same as you are in a different place, then you are supposed to exist in both places at the same time by being the same. Since you do not exist in both places at the same time, what is different about you in this place in contrast to you in a different place?

P.S. It should be than.
    than*
    Can the administrator remove this so I can post again to modify my title?
    Mod note: Done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2
    Yes, the admin can remove your post, but I'm afraid you won't post it again then

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3
    Point is, nothing is supposed to be at two different places at the same time.

5. Dec 8, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why be "afraid"? It doesn't make sense as it is! What do you mean by "one place" or "another place"?
    Two feet apart? Two light years apart? At the same time of different times?

And what do you mean by "different" or "same". If you were standing on the surface of Jupiter, the gravity would have reduced you height some! Is that what you mean by "different"? (Actually, you be dead- that's plenty "different"!)

I have hunch you had some very nebulous "philosophical" interpretation of "different" in mind in which case this is not Physics at all.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't follow your logic here. Why would being the same mean you are supposed to exist in multiple places at the same time?

If the conditions are the same, then nothing is different about you other than you've changed locations.

7. Dec 8, 2013 #6
    It is true that nothing is supposed to be at two points at the same time, but you are the same person at one place and also the same as you walk two steps ahead. If you remain exactly the same then you are supposed to exist at that place and the place two steps ahead of you, but you do not exist in both places at the same time. It does not mean that you become a different person when you walk two steps ahead. The question would be, what would be the difference between you and the you after taking two steps. It can be at the level of particles.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. Dec 8, 2013 #7
    I find the logic of that last statement to be quite questionable.

9. Dec 8, 2013 #8
    Space is that which separates particles. Time is that which allows particles to relocate in space.

I hear you describing discrete time or discrete space. As if they were pixels, refreshing on a computer screen. In those cases your question asks what happens when you 'beam' from one location to another; one instant to another. How can one say you're still the same person if everyone is 'beaming' all the time?

Well, it's hard to say that time or space are discrete. But even if they were, the complex internal configuration of a person is what seals their identity. Relocating shouldn't alter that identity irreversibly. Thus the person should not be altered.

10. Dec 8, 2013 #9
    Even if the time is different, it still does not describe how it separates you from the you two steps ahead of you in terms of location. If you remain the same, how does the space knows where it is supposed to place you?

11. Dec 8, 2013 #10

Drakkith

I'm sorry, I have no idea what "remaining the same" has to do with this. And space doesn't "know" where to place you. You already exist and you are moving, changing position as time passes. But, this is only relative to other objects. You cannot measure your velocity relative to space because space isn't tangible.

12. Dec 8, 2013 #11
    well fact is that you are not the same two feet after the place you stood before that.
    Every second your body ages even though in seconds the difference is so small noone can see it it still does happen so you are never the same , from that point of view no physical process or body can be directly copied or repeated, it cannot because even though you can make the macro look (fasade) look the same the inner things (atomic level stuff) will be different.

Like restoring an old car , it may look just as it looked back then but the materials , the paint all that stuff is different , so in terms of physical bodies being the same there or here , I would say it' s a no.

this actually has to do with relativity.
    space and time goes only one direction , you may travel back and forth in space and visit the same place over and over but time will still run one way, it may run faster or slower depending on the reference frame or speed your traveling but it still runs , so unless you become light (which has no mass) you can't stay the same both here and there after a while.

13. Dec 8, 2013 #12

Dale

Please provide a scientific reference for this claim. It seems completely unjustified to me.

14. Dec 8, 2013 #13

Drakkith

Tell that to a fundamental particle.

15. Dec 8, 2013 #14
    It is true that time only runs in one direction, but it does not keep track of the location. At any single point in time where the person's location would be still remains a question to me, but it seems like time is the only reasonable explanation as to the difference between the person at one place and the same person that took two steps away. I am just wondering if time keep tracks of the person's position since it flows through the three dimensional world.

16. Dec 8, 2013 #15
    exactly , time is what seperates objects and events in space , just like a road is full of cars but if all of the cars that have ever been on that road would be there at once , we would see a pile of cars sacked one upon other , in other words an unreal situation.

well time itself doesn't keep track of anything but you could look upon this as everywhere you have been you have interacted with that place , even though small but that changes something on the atomic level so that could be the trail you have left behind , the onl;y thing is it is impossible to tell , only at the macro level and even then.
    it's like sand , imagine being at the beach and making a sand castle , it will stay there for a while but as time goes many events take over and the castle is gone and after a significant period of time the beach would look just like it looked before you made the sand castle.
    traces tend to dissappear.

17. Dec 8, 2013 #16

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me ask you this: do you feel like you are in two places at the same time very often?

18. Dec 8, 2013 #17

Drakkith

Time does not flow through anything. Space and time are part of "spacetime" and form the standard 4 dimensions we use. Which just means that it takes 4 numbers to give the location of anything in spacetime. Three for the location in space, and one for the location in time.

19. Jan 13, 2014 #18
    If space is capable of separating particles, how does it separate the particle at one location from all the other possible locations it can be in at a given time?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  20. Jan 13, 2014 #19

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

Doesn't this make it impossible for two objects to be 100% identical?

21. Jan 13, 2014 #20
    The object does not change when it relocates in space, so it should be identical to before it relocates. However, something is keeping it from appearing at all the other possible locations.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook