What is it like to transition from academia to industry as a physicist?

• Thread starter rjurga
  • Start date
In summary, transitioning from academia to industry as a physicist can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It often involves adjusting to a faster-paced work environment, collaborating with colleagues from diverse backgrounds, and applying scientific concepts to real-world problems and projects. Physicists may also have to develop new skills, such as project management and communication, to succeed in the industry. However, the transition can also offer exciting opportunities for career growth, the chance to work on cutting-edge technologies, and a potentially higher salary. Overall, the experience can be a valuable and enriching one for physicists looking to expand their horizons beyond academia.
rjurga
Hello. After getting my PhD (quantum plasmonics) I moved to industry (artificial intelligence for robotics). It's been a couple of years during which I have done no physics. Lately I'm getting back into it as a hobby. I'm mostly on my own, so I'm registering here to add some social element to that hobby. Even though I'm having enough fun by myself, I never know when I might feel the urge to talk with other physicists! So I might drop in conversations now and then. See you!

Likes physicsponderer, berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes rjurga