Converting a CV to a Resume (from Academia to Industry)

In summary, the consensus seems to be that if you have relevant experience and skills that can be used in the company, include them in your resume. If you are coming from academia, focus on your accomplishments and skills in the industry, and leave the scholarly activities out.
Hepth
Gold Member
Does anyone have any good suggestions on what I should or should not include if I intend to apply to some industry-oriented jobs, coming from academia?

When I was an engineer my resume had a lot more detail about the individual experiences of each job. That's fine and dandy, but what about my "new since then" lists of publications, conference attendance, invited talks, workshops, teaching awards, etc, that basically fill my CV now, and show what I've been doing for the past XX years. Do I leave them out and focus on experience and talents? Include them as extra pages (don't they hate that?)? I know the length really has to get cut down for it to be acceptable.

Just wondering what the opinions are on how one should work these things into an industry (advanced engineering) targeted resume.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can offer some of my thoughts regarding applying for a job in industry. Keep everything in your CV relevant to the job you are applying to. It might be impressive the conferences you've been to and your publications, but I believe a popular position will have too many applicants for a recruiter to give any attention to non relevant work and experience.

If you can relate to the job well, perhaps go into a lot of detail without droning on too much. I'd briefly mention the duties you had in academia, but kept really to the point. Also split your CV into work history first (Im guessing the recruiter could relate more to your duties in industry than in academia), and then academia after.

I had the opposite challenge: going from industry to academia (field of Engineering). My impression of what's important in academia is scholarly activities (as you describe) and proof thereof. Generally this is not important in industry and looked upon as weak because you "haven't DONE anything." It is more important "what have you done & accomplished and how can you prove it so that I may use your skills as a resource to accomplish my corporate goals?" And another would be "What skill sets do you bring to my table so that I may use you as a resource etc.?" All topped off with the sense of urgency thing "...and make it snappy, I'm a busy manager with things to do!"

Typical "pages & pages" of academic CV gets tossed in the can as "too much." I instruct my students in lab reports, presentations, and interviewing techniques: you must assume "the Boss" is busy running a company and has 17 milliseconds to review your resume or report, hear your results summary, or listen to your proposal pitch. My last resume was limited to two pages but was very explicit on the first page of accomplishments and skills that they could use, and each resume was tailored to the company. The second page was "selected accomplishments" to emphasize skills and then finally summarized work history.

1. How is a CV different from a resume?

A CV (curriculum vitae) is a detailed document that outlines an individual's academic and professional background, including all of their education, research experience, publications, and presentations. A resume, on the other hand, is a concise document that focuses on an individual's relevant skills and experiences for a specific job in industry.

2. What should I include in my resume when transitioning from academia to industry?

When converting a CV to a resume for industry, it is important to highlight transferable skills and experiences that are relevant to the job you are applying for. This may include any internships, research projects, or teaching experience that demonstrate your ability to work in a team, problem-solve, and communicate effectively.

3. How should I format my resume for industry?

In contrast to a CV, which can be multiple pages long, a resume should be no longer than two pages. Use a clean and professional layout with clear headings and bullet points to make it easy to read. It is also important to tailor your resume to each job you apply for, emphasizing the skills and experiences that are most relevant to the specific position.

4. Should I include my publications and presentations on my resume?

While publications and presentations are important in academia, they are not typically relevant for industry positions. Instead, focus on highlighting your skills and experiences that demonstrate your ability to excel in an industry setting. If you have any publications or presentations that are directly related to the job you are applying for, you can include them in a separate section on your resume.

5. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

To make your resume stand out, be sure to include quantifiable achievements and results from your previous experiences. This could include any awards or recognition you have received, successful projects you have completed, or measurable impacts you have made in previous roles. Additionally, make sure to proofread your resume carefully and tailor it to each job you apply for to show that you are a strong fit for the position.