What is Known About Zero-th Gaussian Periods of Type (N,r)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter burritoloco
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gaussian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
burritoloco
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm new to this subject and wondering if anything is known specifically on the zero-th Gaussian periods of type (N,r), where N is a product of distinct primes and r = p^s is a power of a prime. I know there are some very general results out there, but I haven't seen this so far. Thanks!

In case you don't know what I mean: Let X be the canonical additive character on GF(r) and let N be a divisor of r-1. Then the zero-th Gaussian period of type (N,r) is the sum of the values X(z) where z runs over all the elements of the (unique) multiplicative subgroup of GF(r) with order (r-1)/N.

Cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org