What is mass? and is negative matter really possible

• Thread starter anj16
  • Start date
what is mass???? and is negative matter really possible

i wasnt sure if i should post it in this forum or not but i thought the second part of the title refers to particle physics so i posted this here.

so as the title suggests i was wondering what is mass. i have heard answeres like it is a property of matter, etc, etc. But i am still not convinced as to what mass really is. i was hoping someone here would be able to give me a convincing answer.

and my second question :
can negative matter really exist when looking at the "there elementry particles" and there properties in this sort of universe?
p.s. please do not confuse negative matter with antimatter as a lot of people does.

i am hoping for some good convincing answeres :smile:
thnx

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
Re: what is mass???? and is negative matter really possible

Mass is a fundamental property of matter. It is what causes an object to resist acceleration. Hit up wikipedia and search for mass to see more info on this. Also, do NOT think that science simply "doesn't know what mass is". We know exactly what it is. What we don't know is the exact process that causes it. That is one reason we are searching for the Higgs particle.

For your 2nd question, there is no evidence that negative mass exists and no reason to believe that it might.

To answer "is negative matter really possible?" you would first have to define what you mean by negative matter.

so drakkith y would a body wanna resist acceleration anywayz if there is no opposing force??
for instance lets say there is a space ship in space and if u fire the ion engine it will just move in a particular direction, and there is no gravity in space so there is no force opposing or holding the space ship back so why would it resist acceleration???

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

In order to accelerate it you first need to apply a force and mass can be a measure of how much it can resist that force i.e. F = ma.

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award

Sorry, I think I explained it incorrectly. Mass causes an object to accelerate less when a force is applied. IE something with more mass accelerates less than a less massive object does when an equal force is applied to both.

There is a property, known as effective mass, that can be postive or negative.

When it is negative a Force does indeed accelerate the effective mass in the opposite direction to positive mass. This can be seen in the Hall effect in semiconductors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_(solid-state_physics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:

Mass is how heavy something is without gravity.Another way of describing mass is:Mass is how much matter an object has. Mass is measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg)

Now none of the theories include negative mass so if negative mass exists, there must be new theories.who cares.Let's wait for it.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads