What is meant by the frequency of a single photon?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nabeel17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nabeel17
Messages
57
Reaction score
1
When I think of frequency, I think of something happening per second or per unit time. When light is a wave, I can understand that it has a frequency, but when it is a particle like a photon, what is the interpretation of its frequency? What is occurring per unit time? Or do we associate a frequency with it when it exhibits wave properties instead of particle? Or just based on its energy we say it has frequency related by E=hf?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For an operational meaning matching your sense of "cycles per unit time" you can observe the frequency of a single photon by filtering it with a grating of a given spatial frequency (cycles per unit distance) which we can equate to time frequency using speed of light.