What Is the Average Length of a DNA Strand Cut by a Restriction Enzyme?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BassMaster
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
BassMaster
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Homework Statement

I know this is a biology question but this is the most busy forum so I decided to put it here:

I'll make this simple. A restriction enzyme reads a DNA strand containing nucleotide base pairs. It cuts the strand after it reads a sequence of 6 base pairs - AAGCCT. Of course the probability of the enzyme reading the correct base is 1/4. And it needs 6 of them.

So what is the average length of a cut strand? I'm thinking you do (1/4)^6 and this will give you something.. but what?

Thanks for your help in advance...



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
(1/4)^6 gives you the probability that your enzyme will read the string(tag) correctly and you know the length of your string so combine these number will give you an average length of a cut given that it consists of only this sequence - this is how I understand you.