What is the best solder for bonding to tantalum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter G01
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
G01
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,709
Reaction score
19
Hey there,

I have to solder to tantalum for a project I'm working on. I hear this isn't easy with conventional solder. Is there a certain type of solder I should use, or should I go about a different method, silver epoxy, etc.? Thank your for the advice.

George
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Conventional solder will not work with tantalum, which is a refractory metal. I'll check with some people I know who are involved with Ta and find out what they recommend.

To what material is one joining the Ta?

I believe one normally brazes Ta, which is usually case for refractory alloys. Also, one has to keep air (oxygen) away from the Ta, Mo and other similar metals.
 
Last edited: