What is the Chemical Formula of Diesel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 23K views
warwick$$
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


For a assessment task at school, I have to compare various types of fuel, one of which is diesel. One aspect of the task is to name the chemical formula for each fuel.

The Attempt at a Solution


I keep finding that the formula for diesel is C12H23. I know that diesel is made up of various hydrocarbons, but C12H23 is niether a alkane, alkyne or alkene. Is C12H23 the correct formula, and if so, what is the structural formula
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a mixture of things as you noted. The (weighted) average empirical formula contains absolutely no structural information. It only gives you ratios between carbon/hydrogen which is only helpful to determine the stoichiometry of combustion. You can't tell from looking at the empirical formula the difference between a compound that is an alkene or if it contains a cyclic structure either. Or one that is an alkyne from a diene from a bicyclic.

Empirical formula is not the same as structural formula.