What is the current understanding of matter and its origins?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Alex_Sanders
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I need some brief update of how scientists are making any progress in coming up with theories explaining what matter is and how matter was formed.

My latest memory on this one tells me everything is just a form of energy, there were singularities in the old universe, some kind of energetic balance was broke, thus came the stars, planets, and us.

Is my preliminary understanding right and not yet out of date?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

J. B. S. Haldane said:
I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
 
Alex_Sanders said:
I need some brief update of how scientists are making any progress in coming up with theories explaining what matter is and how matter was formed.
I think the jury's still out on this one.

Alex_Sanders said:
My latest memory on this one tells me everything is just a form of energy ...
The basic definition of energy presupposes matter, so that might be a bit of a problem. But then, matter is rather ill-defined, so maybe it's not a problem.

Alex_Sanders said:
... there were singularities in the old universe, some kind of energetic balance was broke, thus came the stars, planets, and us.

Is my preliminary understanding right and not yet out of date?
I think you've nailed it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice quote, Jimmy! Makes me wonder what happens to a scientist who discovers something that is queerer than he can suppose -- does he go nuts, or what? If he manages to publish the findings, will everyone who can understand them go nuts, leaving only stupid survivors? Hmmm...