What is the definition of disc scalelength?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PCB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Disc
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
PCB
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Can anyone please give m the definition of disc scalelength?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
PCB said:
... disc scalelength

I assumed you typo'ed and there should be a gap between scale and length

there are a number of answers to that on google :)

come back if you have any specific question in what you read

Dave
 
thanks, I have googled the term and I have found numerous uses of the term, but no definition. If you can help I would very much appreciate it.
 
from ... http://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.1507.pdf -

Scale length of disc galaxies

comes -----

The scale length determines how the stars are distributed throughout a disk, and can be used to derive its mass distribution,
assuming a specific M/L ratio. Ultimately, this mass distribution is the primary constraint for determining the formation scenariothere are others

Dave
 
Thanks, that is helpful, but I was looking for a detailed definition so I could understand what, for instance, 2.5 scale lengths meant in a particular situation.
 
from what I read in a couple of papers whilst doing that searching for you
is that you are not going to get a better definition. It is something that is a little vague and varies between researcherssorry
that's about the best I can do or find

Dave
 
Thanks very much, your efforts are much appreciated. I cannot help but feel that a term used as much as it is in many formal papers is not well defined, and/or that definition is not easy to find--in this information age.