What is the difference between diagonal form and Dirac form of an operator?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter James Jackson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Operators
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
James Jackson
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
I'm just looking at another quantum computation question. It is stated like so:

The operators Y and Z on [tex]C^2[/tex] are defined by:

[tex]Y|0\rangle =i|1\rangle ; Y|1\rangle = -i|0\rangle[/tex]
[tex]Z|0\rangle = |0\rangle ; Z|1\rangle = -|1\rangle[/tex]

Write Z in diagonal form
Write Y in Dirac form with respect to the basis [tex]\{ 0\rangle , |1\rangle\}[/tex]

Now, I'm confusing myself something silly. I'm under the impression that the diagonal form of an operator is given by:

[tex]A=\sum \lambda_{n}|n\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

where [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] are the eigenvectors and [tex]\lambda_n[/tex] are the eigenvalues of A.

But I would also take this to be the Dirac form, so I'm clearly missing something.

The eigenvalues of Z are clearly [tex]\{1,-1\}[/tex] with eigenvectors [tex]\{ |0\rangle ,|1\rangle\}[/tex], so the diagonal form is [tex]Z=|0\rangle\langle 0|-|1\rangle\langle 1|[/tex].

I suppose my question breaks down to 'What is meant by the Dirac form of an operator?'

Any hints?

Edited to remove me being stupid and working out eigenvectors incorrectly.

Edit: Or, by Dirac form of an operator, do they mean the matrix representation which, for Y, is given by:

[tex]Y=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&-i\\i&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that by "diagonal form" they mean write Z as a diagonal matrix. And by "Dirac form" they mean write Y as a sum of projection operators as you did for Z. But I agree with you, in that I would say the "Dirac Form" version of Z written in terms of eigenvectors is also in "diagonal form".
 
To anyone who's remotely interested, it transpires that given an operator, A, in matrix respresentation, then the Dirac form of the operator is:

[tex]\hat A=\sum_{ij} A_{ij} |i\rangle\langle j|[/tex]

and given the eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] and eigenvectors [itex]|\lambda_i\rangle[/itex] of an operator, the diagonal representation is (of course):

[tex]\hat A = \sum_i \lambda_i |\lambda_i\rangle\langle\lambda_i |[/tex]

As a 'learning point', note that the Dirac form of an operator is identical to the diagonal form for a diagonal matrix. An obvious result, but perhaps it will be useful for others.