What is the fragment loss for 51 peak in the given mass spectrum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter manicss01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Loss Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
manicss01
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm analysing a mass spectrum I've been given for a molecule with the molecular formula of C9H10O2.

The structure iv deduced is a Benzene ring with COOC2H5 substituent.

so its... Benzene-C(=O)-O-C2H5

I'm working out the fragments shown on the mass spec. Those given to me are 150, 122, 105, 77, 51.

So far, I've deduced:
150 - the molecule as it is
122 - the molecule loses C2H2 (ethene) and leaves an alcohol
105 - the molecule loses C2H5O' (an Ethoxy radical)
77 - the molecule loses the whole substituent of C(=O)-O-C2H5 and leaves an Benzene ring

The problem is, i can't work out the 51 peak? What is lost here? Can a benzene ring be broken - to my knowledge it is stable and hence would not fragment?

Please help me on this :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Read up on http://www.chemistry.ccsu.edu/glagovich/teaching/316/ms/aromatic.html" .
 
Last edited by a moderator: