What is the heaviest element that a supernova can produce?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter seerongo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Element Supernova
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
seerongo
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
As I understand it, Uranium is the heaviest "natural" element that is still observable on Earth because of it's stability, but what is the heaviest element that may have ever been produced by a supernova regardless of stability?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Super heavy elements have short half-lives, and currently the heaviest known element is 118, so we can assume it can be produced in a supernova explosion since the conditions there are more extreme than in the lab.
 
Thanks for the reply. I see that 118 was synthesized (in 2002 or so?) I guess I was wondering if anyone has calculated a theoretical element number that could possibly be formed in a large supernova. I know this is a bit general, but astrophysicists have learned a lot about the dynamics of supernovae and I thought that maybe there is some educated speculation on the subject.