Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the heaviest element that a supernova can produce?

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    As I understand it, Uranium is the heaviest "natural" element that is still observable on Earth because of it's stability, but what is the heaviest element that may have ever been produced by a supernova regardless of stability?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    Super heavy elements have short half-lives, and currently the heaviest known element is 118, so we can assume it can be produced in a supernova explosion since the conditions there are more extreme than in the lab.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I see that 118 was synthesized (in 2002 or so?) I guess I was wondering if anyone has calculated a theoretical element number that could possibly be formed in a large supernova. I know this is a bit general, but astrophysicists have learned a lot about the dynamics of supernovae and I thought that maybe there is some educated speculation on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook