What is the most common/likely process of the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the universe's main descriptive action and its most common occurrence, with the suggestion that expansion could be the "main thing" with severe consequences. The idea of normalizing scales and its impact on our current understanding of the universe is also brought up, but the questions are deemed unanswerable due to their speculative nature and the limitations of our knowledge and observations.
Tap Banister
Sorry if this question is kind of vague or even too vague, but what is the universe's main descriptive action and what is the most common occurrence due to this action? Can we just say the universe's "main thing" is expansion and the main side effect of this process is...?

-Side Question-
Does being capable of seeing even greater scales and normalizing these scales alter what we already know about the universe? If we find out the observable universe is just part of an even larger cosmic object and the scale of a super cluster becomes normalized like galaxies are today, could that fundamentally change current nigh-certainties? I guess I'm asking, how much of what we know is based on how much or how well we can see?

Space news on Phys.org
Sadly, I don't think this question is well-formed enough for any kind of answer.

I'm guessing what you are looking for. Possibly proton-proton fusion?

Likes Tap Banister
mathman said:
I'm guessing what you are looking for. Possibly proton-proton fusion?
If you don't mind me asking, what brings you to this thought?

Tap Banister said:
If we find out the observable universe is just part of an even larger cosmic object

I don't understand what your question means.

But consider the meaning of the word observable. What we can say backed up by observations, is by-definition confined to the observable universe. We can speculate what is outside of that region, but we can't have evidence to confirm or refute the speculation.

Tap Banister said:
Sorry if this question is kind of vague or even too vague, but what is the universe's main descriptive action and what is the most common occurrence due to this action? Can we just say the universe's "main thing" is expansion and the main side effect of this process is...?
My first idea is that the "universe's main thing" is existence.

Since we’ve exhausted the vagueness of the question, I think it’s appropriate that we close this thread now and thank everyone who commented here.

Tap Banister said:
Sorry if this question is kind of vague or even too vague...
Indeed, it is. Maybe you will start a new thread with a more specific question.
... but what is the universe's main descriptive action and what is the most common occurrence due to this action?
Gravity.
Can we just say the universe's "main thing" is expansion and the main side effect of this process is...?
I don't think so. You can't actually see expansion, and what should severe consequences be? Locally there is nothing which expands.
-Side Question-
Does being capable of seeing even greater scales and normalizing these scales alter what we already know about the universe?
Hopefully every observation alters what we know, and be it a higher confidence in what we already knew. This question doesn't make sense.
If we find out the observable universe is just part of an even larger cosmic object and the scale of a super cluster becomes normalized like galaxies are today, could that fundamentally change current nigh-certainties? I guess I'm asking, how much of what we know is based on how much or how well we can see?
These questions cannot be answered. The first is pure speculation, which means any answer is allowed, and the second asks for a quantification which cannot be given: how much? 100%, because someone has to "see" what the instruments measure.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory and how does it relate to the process of the Universe?

The Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the Universe. It suggests that the Universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, approximately 13.8 billion years ago. The singularity then rapidly expanded and cooled, giving rise to the formation of matter and energy. This process is still ongoing and is responsible for the expansion and evolution of the Universe as we know it.

2. How does the formation of stars and galaxies play a role in the process of the Universe?

After the initial expansion of the Universe, gravity began to pull matter together, leading to the formation of stars and galaxies. These structures are essential for the continued evolution of the Universe as they are responsible for the production of heavy elements, the formation of planets, and the distribution of energy throughout the Universe.

3. What is dark matter and how does it impact the process of the Universe?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to traditional forms of observation. However, its effects can be seen through its gravitational pull on visible matter. Scientists believe that dark matter makes up about 85% of the total matter in the Universe and plays a significant role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

4. Does the Universe have an end or will it continue to expand forever?

Current scientific evidence suggests that the Universe will continue to expand indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time. Some theories suggest that the expansion may eventually slow down or even reverse, leading to a possible "Big Crunch" where the Universe collapses back in on itself. However, more research is needed to fully understand the fate of the Universe.

5. How does the concept of dark energy tie into the process of the Universe?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the Universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the Universe. While its exact nature is still unknown, scientists continue to study dark energy to gain a better understanding of its role in the process of the Universe.