What is the most effective way to determine the stability of carbocations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Priyadarshini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Priyadarshini
Messages
191
Reaction score
4
WP_20160129_12_51_13_Pro.jpg

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Shouldn't the answer be 4?
It certainly isn't 1 or 3 because they have maximum -I effect
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you conclude it was 4 after you narrowed it down to 2 and 4?
 
Suraj M said:
How did you conclude it was 4 after you narrowed it down to 2 and 4?
OCH3 is an electron withdrawing group. So it will result in -R effect, making it less stable. Which leaves only option 4.
 
OCH3 is -R? Are you sure
I think you're confusing it with -I
 
Suraj M said:
OCH3 is -R? Are you sure
I think you're confusing it with -I
Oh, right. It has a +R effect, so more stable. Thank you!
 
Have you officially been taught all these polar effects? Because that's in 12th.
Are you reading ahead? If so I would advice you to solve from a book that provides detailed answers for these questions, it'll help you learn.
 
Suraj M said:
Have you officially been taught all these polar effects? Because that's in 12th.
Are you reading ahead? If so I would advice you to solve from a book that provides detailed answers for these questions, it'll help you learn.
At school we don't have any of these on syllabus, so I'm doing it on my own.
 
Okay then as I said
Choose a book with good solutions provided
And after a while you'll get a hang of it
Hey I think your school will have it next year ask your teacher