What is the name of the shape formed by combining 3 ellipses together?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter xaratustra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Geometrical Shape
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
xaratustra
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
What is the geometrical shape called, when combining 3 ellipses together, such that each two share one focal point and together form a kind of 60 degree triangular shape?

It will look similar to Reuleaux triangle, but it is not formed out of a triangle, but 3 ellipses, as if you are gluing one ellipse to each side of a triangle.

thanks
:approve:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Found it!

I think it is called a superellipse. I found a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia. The one I was looking for is the one with parameters "3 6 6 6", the table on the right side. The plot in octave also works by using the following command:
Code:
sf2d([3 6 6 6],[1 1])

anyway, thanks.