What is the Purpose of Fitting Supernova Remnant Spectra?

In summary, a researcher working with mixed morphology SNRs at an undergraduate institution has to give a presentation in a week. One of the common questions they face is the significance of learning the properties of these SNRs and how it contributes to the overall body of knowledge and what the scientific community gains from it. SNR is compared to particle detectors at the LHC and it is through studying them that we can understand reactions under extreme conditions and involving extreme energy. While the person commenting has nothing substantial to contribute, they acknowledge the intense interest in this topic and the potential for surprises in mixed morphology SNRs.
coca-cola
PF,

I work as a researcher at my undergraduate institution. I have to give a presentation in a week and this question always gets me. What does learning the properties of these SNRs contribute to the overall body of knowledge? What does the scientific community gain from this knowledge?

Thanks!

Edit: It might be important to know that I specifically work with mixed morphology SNRs.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
SNR is like the particle detectors surrounding collision points at the LHC
It is how we learn what reactions have occurred under extreme conditions and involving extreme energy.
I am an interested bystander, not a professional researcher. I have nothing substantive to say that can help you. So I don;t want to take any more of your time. You have to prepare your talk to give in a week.

Just take for granted that it is intensely interesting to us all, what is left behind after these monster explosions. Particularly if they have mixed morphology, that would logically be where surprises might turn up. Where existing categories do not quite work is always a place for the curious to look.

Last edited:

What is a supernova remnant?

A supernova remnant is the leftover material from a massive star explosion, also known as a supernova. It consists of the outer layers of the star that were ejected during the explosion.

Why do we study supernova remnants?

Supernova remnants provide valuable information about the evolution of stars, the life cycle of galaxies, and the distribution of elements in the universe. They also serve as cosmic laboratories for studying high-energy processes and physics.

What is the purpose of fitting supernova remnant spectra?

The purpose of fitting supernova remnant spectra is to analyze and interpret the different wavelengths of light emitted by the remnant. By fitting the spectra, scientists can determine the composition of the remnant, the energy and temperature of the material, and other physical characteristics.

How do scientists fit supernova remnant spectra?

Scientists use computer models and specialized software to fit supernova remnant spectra. They compare the observed spectra to theoretical models of known elements and physical processes to determine the best fit.

What can we learn from fitting supernova remnant spectra?

By fitting supernova remnant spectra, scientists can learn about the composition, temperature, and density of the remnant, as well as the dynamics and evolution of the explosion. This information helps us understand the supernova process and its role in the universe.