Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Purpose of Fitting Supernova Remnant Spectra?

1. Apr 22, 2015 #1
    PF,

I work as a researcher at my undergraduate institution. I have to give a presentation in a week and this question always gets me. What does learning the properties of these SNRs contribute to the overall body of knowledge? What does the scientific community gain from this knowledge?

Thanks!

Edit: It might be important to know that I specifically work with mixed morphology SNRs.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2015 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

SNR is like the particle detectors surrounding collision points at the LHC
    It is how we learn what reactions have occurred under extreme conditions and involving extreme energy.
    I am an interested bystander, not a professional researcher. I have nothing substantive to say that can help you. So I don;t want to take any more of your time. You have to prepare your talk to give in a week.

Just take for granted that it is intensely interesting to us all, what is left behind after these monster explosions. Particularly if they have mixed morphology, that would logically be where surprises might turn up. Where existing categories do not quite work is always a place for the curious to look.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook