What is the value of K in the equation 21K = 1?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jason76
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Jason76
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What is the value of K?

[tex]K(x^{6}) = 1[/tex]
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose $x\ne0$ and you divide both sides by $x^6$...what do you get?
 
MarkFL said:
Suppose $x\ne0$ and you divide both sides by $x^6$...what do you get?

[tex]K(x^{6}) = 1[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{K(x^{6})}{x^{6}} = \dfrac{1}{x^{6}}[/tex] where [tex]x \ne 0[/tex]

[tex]K = \dfrac{1}{x^{6}}[/tex]

Actually, here is the original problem:

A die has its six faces loaded so that P(roll is i)=K*x for x=1,2,3,4,5,6. It is rolled until an even number appears. Let X be the number of rolls needed.

Next finding K is needed. Sorry if in wrong section. This is for probability.
 
Last edited:
I've moved the thread, and will wait until someone more proficient at probability to chime in. :D
 
MarkFL said:
I've moved the thread, and will wait until someone more proficient at probability to chime in. :D

It seems like a long time ago, the professor said something about differentiation and also used Wolfram Alpha.
 
Hi Jason,

I take it that should be P(roll is i)=K*i?
If so, K must be such that all chances sum to 1.
So:
$$K\cdot 1 + ... + K\cdot 6 = 1$$
Can we find K from that?
 
I like Serena said:
...I take it that should be P(roll is i)=K*i?...

I also thought that might be the intended problem. :D
 
Contacted the professor.

[tex]K + 2K + 3K + 4K + 5K + 6K = 1[/tex]

is the correct format so

[tex]21K = 1[/tex]

so

[tex]K = \dfrac{1}{21}[/tex]