1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs What kind of credentials for EE PhD program?

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am a junior electrical engineering major at University of Delaware. I want to get my PhD right after I graduate, and I'm not really sure what kind of schools I should apply to. I want to go to school in the northeast and not stray too far from that. Here are the credentials I will have by next fall (the time when I will be applying)

-3.65 (current GPA) (will hopefully be raised to 3.75ish by next fall)
    -3 semesters research experience with 2 different professors
    -both biomedical imaging research
    -1 semester TA experience
    -a few leadership positions at school (not sure if this is relevant)

I haven't taken the GRE yet.
    With these credentials can anyone tell me what kind of shot I have at competitive grad schools? Thank you! Do you have any other tips for me for applying?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    A lot will hinge on your GRE score.

Get above about 750 quant and 550 verbal and you'll get into a top 10 easily. EE programs aren't very competitive compared to say the hard sciences.
  4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    I couldn't disagree more. From what I understand, since there is no subject test, the GRE means very little to EEs. Any EE should get an 800 on the quantitative section, and how well you do on the verbal section is spread all over the map thanks to the fact that English isn't a first language for many students.
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    Why aren't EE programs very competitive?
  6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    It doesn't get you into a school but it will get you rejected if you blow it off. You should score around the average for the school you want to get into.

An 800 is 80%-ile for EE's. This means it's all the more important to get an 800 because schools will be able to fill most of their student body with people who scored 800 on the quant. Those kind of statistics weigh in rankings.
  7. Feb 15, 2009 #6
    EE not competitive? you kidding me. EE is where the core of physics lies in. Of course, microe are easy but think of optics and photonics. to figure out the theory takes you years! EE , especially quantum EE is the hardest of all subject on earth! because they are fastest from general common sense and daily definition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?