What makes 'Sunshine' a must-watch movie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Axion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Kevin_Axion
Messages
912
Reaction score
3
I saw the movie Sunshine, directed by Danny Boyle in 2007 and I wasn't extremely impressed (mostly due to my ignorance and immaturity) but I watched it today just out of pure fascination of how the movie intertwines fate, science, art, and humanity into one beautiful journey and I absolutely loved it. If you haven't seen it, go and get it (not at Blockbuster they just went bankrupt) the movie is absolutely mesmerizing. Here is a trailer:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


the whole premise of the movie is complete nonsense and for that reason I don't think I could ever stand to watch it.
 


I thought the premise was to get laid.. we talking about the same movie?

In a time of revolution, in a family torn by tradition, one man was consumed by love.

Ah I see.. I am of course talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/"
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Movies that appear nonsensical usually hold a strain of uniqueness, to me that is a quality of a great movie. For instance Donnie Darko and The Prestige were great movies about a Schizophrenic and two competing magicians.
 


I thought Sunshine was beautifully done. The story was weak, but the special effects were fantastic.
 
Last edited:


I watched a bit of it on TV and all I really remember was watching one of the final scenes and thinking "wtf is going on?" (due to the way they edited it, I think, it was really hard to tell what was happening...unless I'm confusing it with another movie)

Anyways, who needs special effects when you can get actual images of the sun
 


JaWiB said:
Anyways, who needs special effects when you can get actual images of the sun

Well, I guess one would have to have an appreciation for the artistic use of imagery.

Normally I could care less about special effects, but Sunshine was truly a work of art, imo.
 


i remember watching this, but i think i must have missed the ending. kinda meh, ok but not great.

fwiw, i just loooove strange films, but by strange i mean Being John Malkovitch