What minor/major to combine with NucE?

• Courses
  • Thread starter username1989
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to get a degree in Energy, take classes in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering.
username1989
I'm transferring into a NucE program next fall and because of the way the prereqs work, I have 3 more years left but maybe 10-13 credits a semester. I need at least 12, so my advisor recommended I find a minor or dual major. I'm interested in energy production (and grad school, if someone will pay for it). My major is Nuclear Engineering, and I really have no intentions of moving out of that field because I love it.

My ideas were:
-Physics minor
-Electrical Engineering minor
-Energy Engineering minor
-Business minor (to branch out, maybe make myself more broadly available?)
-MatSci

Obviously, I'm only 2 years into college, which has largely been spent at community college, so I'm not quite sure what would even be useful in the field. At the end of my degree, goal #1 is a job that pays, and goal #2 is a job in energy. I particularly like the Department of Energy and have been watching their job listings/internships and those with the Navy... It feels like I need to make decisions on things I barely understand!

Any and all advice would be absolutely appreciated. Thank you in advance for anything you have to offer :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are interested in working in commercial nuclear power (at one of the operating plants, or for one of the reactor vendors) I suggest either some mechanical engineering (heat transfer/fluid flow/thermo stuff) or electrical engineering (instrumentation and controls stuff). In my opinion a specific "minor" doesn't mean much, and taking a few diverse classes might be better in the long run.

Likes username1989
I agree with gmax. Focus on useful classes. Putting together requirements for a minor or second major often leads to too heavy a course load and/or awkward scheduling.

When applying to grad school, the courses you took matter and the grades you earned. Your research accomplishments and recommendations also matter. What you learned matters. Whether the sum total of courses qualifies you for a minor or second major is rarely or never relevant.

Likes username1989

1. What is the benefit of combining NucE with a minor/major?

Combining NucE with a minor/major allows for a more diverse and well-rounded education, as it exposes students to different areas of study and potential career paths. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the intersection between nuclear engineering and another field.

2. What are some popular minors/majors to combine with NucE?

Some popular minors/majors to combine with NucE include mechanical engineering, materials science, physics, mathematics, and environmental science. These fields have strong connections to nuclear engineering and can enhance students' understanding of the subject.

3. Can I still graduate on time if I combine NucE with a minor/major?

It is possible to graduate on time with a combined degree, but it may require careful planning and potentially taking summer classes. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a feasible graduation plan.

4. Will combining NucE with a minor/major give me an advantage in the job market?

Having a combined degree can make you stand out to potential employers, as it demonstrates a diverse skill set and the ability to think critically across multiple disciplines. It can also open up more job opportunities in various industries.

5. How can I decide which minor/major to combine with NucE?

Consider your interests and career goals, as well as the courses and opportunities available at your university. It may also be helpful to speak with professors or professionals in the field to gain insight and advice. Ultimately, choose a minor/major that complements and enhances your NucE studies.