Looking for a minor with a Civil Engineering major

In summary, the speakers discuss various options for a minor to accompany a major in Civil Engineering, including computer science, math, mechanical engineering, and business. They also mention the potential benefits and drawbacks of each option and advise the listener to choose what interests them the most. They also suggest taking elective classes that align with the listener's career path.
Nick Perrone
Hello,
I am going into my first year of college and going to be working torwards earning my major in Civil Engineering over the next five years. My school offers a chance to get an accelerated minor along with my major and I am unsure what to pursue. I have heard many other Engineers minor in math or business, but would like to know what would benefit my career path the most.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
For skill sets, can't go wrong with Computer Science. Being able to program effectively at a level higher than the MATLAB stuff you usually do has a myriad of positives and no negatives. MechE or Physics might teach you some useful stuff. And Math is a lot of fun.

I have a Civil Engineering friend who's minoring in math. He says it's pretty straight forward since you have to take so many courses for the major already. For our school it's only three additional classes to what he already takes, and they count as technical electives towards his major's degree. So that's a good option. MechE would be cool as you'd potentially get to take thermo which is fascinating, especially from an engineering perspective, and a lot of the material science classes you take in Civil will crossover.

Ultimately, almost none of these will really help you negotiate a higher salary or pique employers interests anywhere close to what a good Co-op, research opportunity or internship will give you. So just do what interests you the most. Though once again, CS probably has the most utility and MechE probably has the most interesting stuff that's very applicable to your major already.

I would minor in CS if I were you. Even if you don't finish the minor, exposure to the ideas is valuable. Math is a fun minor. Business would be a good minor if you ever decide to earn an MBA.

Other than that, I agree with everything in post number 2. If none of this sounds fun, minor is something you think might be interesting, like geology! Or just take elective classes that sound interesting.

Nick Perrone said:
but would like to know what would benefit my career path the most

Then you'll have to tell us what you think this career path is. Depending on what that is, a good answer might be architecture, or management, or materials science, or Chinese...

1. What is a minor in civil engineering?

A minor in civil engineering is a secondary area of study that complements your major in civil engineering. It consists of a set of courses that provide you with a broad understanding of another related subject, such as environmental engineering or construction management.

2. Why should I consider a minor in civil engineering?

A minor in civil engineering can enhance your skills and knowledge in a specific area, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also give you a well-rounded education and expand your career options.

3. Can I major in civil engineering and still have a minor in another subject?

Yes, it is possible to have a major in civil engineering and a minor in another subject. However, you may need to carefully plan your course schedule to ensure that you can complete both programs within the allotted time.

4. How do I choose the right minor for my civil engineering major?

It is important to choose a minor that aligns with your career goals and interests. You can also consider talking to your academic advisor or researching the job market to see which minors are in high demand in the field of civil engineering.

5. Can I switch my minor if I change my interests?

Yes, you can switch your minor if you change your interests. However, it may require additional time and coursework to complete the new minor. It is best to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your minor.