What percentage of observed galaxies show redshift versus blueshift?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LocktnLoaded
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blueshift Redshift
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
LocktnLoaded
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Since we have been taken readings of redshift, blueshift for sometime now, is there a consensus on a percentage of each?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You need to be a LOT more specific. If you mean measurements of cosmological expansion, all measurements are redshifted. If you mean the local volume, then they are dependent on local motions and I don't know the mix.

What are you asking?
 
novice at astronomy

In short I guess what I'm trying to ask is , besides the Andromeda galaxy, are there any other large bodies coming our way, or are they all expanding outward from us?
 
I believe there are at least another two galaxies approahing us.
They are fairly local.
You could try NASA site or NED, to ask your question.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/nph-allsky?ra_constraint=Unconstrained&ra_1=&ra_2=&dec_constraint=Unconstrained&dec_1=&dec_2=&glon_constraint=Unconstrained&glon_1=&glon_2=&glat_constraint=Unconstrained&glat_1=&glat_2=&z_constraint=Less+Than&z_value1=0&z_value2=&z_unit=km%2Fs&ot_include=ANY&ex_objtypes1=Clusters&ex_objtypes1=Supernovae&ex_objtypes1=QSO&ex_objtypes2=AbsLineSys&ex_objtypes2=GravLens&ex_objtypes2=Radio&ex_objtypes2=Infrared&ex_objtypes3=EmissnLine&ex_objtypes3=UVExcess&ex_objtypes3=Xray&ex_objtypes3=GammaRay&nmp_op=ANY&out_csys=Equatorial&out_equinox=B1950.0&obj_sort=RA+or+Longitude&zv_breaker=30000.0" lists 2189 blue-shifted objects.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LocktnLoaded said:
In short I guess what I'm trying to ask is , besides the Andromeda galaxy, are there any other large bodies coming our way, or are they all expanding outward from us?

Seems that the Milky Way is already colliding with another galaxy and there are a few more on the way.
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=386

The Andromeda galaxy collision will just be much more significant.

The Milky Way is part of a "Local Group" of galaxies which are not expanding away from each other (galaxies tend to be found in clusters).
http://www.seds.org/messier/more/local.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: