What should I bring for mum when I return home from studying in the UK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 5K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31
Hi, I am studying here in the uk and I am going back home. I am wondering what I should take for mum. Thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
take her some earl grey tea. and shortbread biscuits. and a black pudding :p
 
and oven gloves in floral patterns. and baked beans. everyone likes baked beans.
 
Sorry I_like_Serena... I'm so embarassed! I don't realize at the time, but after, I see how cringe-worthy it is... woke up now.
 
Last edited:
yeah, I need to stop posting inappropriate remarks...
 
Last edited:
I was wondering what anyone would suggest for taking home to mum.
Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Btw, did you watch A fish called Wanda? :P
 
A http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Home-Blankets/Native-American/Heritage-Collection/1973/c/1823/pc/1816.uts.

These are the same blankets that real Native Americans have bought for over a century.

Seriously. They've been selling blankets to Native Americans since the 1800's. They've always been so popular and ubiquitous among native Americans that a lot of the public have always thought that they must be designed and made by Native Americans.
 
It is! :)
And Wanda likes Russian...

Wanda: Archie? Do you speak Italian?
Archie: I am Italian! Sono italiano in spirito. Ma ho sposato una donna che preferisce lavorare in giardino a fare l'amore appassionato. Uno sbaglio grande! But it's such an ugly language. How about... Russian?
 
I love these blankets! I can see why Native Americans liked them so much! they look so soft! and colourful! I want one!
 
В минуту жизни трудную
Теснится ль в сердце грусть:
Одну молитву чудную
Твержу я наизусть.

Есть сила благодатная
В созвучье слов живых,
И дышит непонятная,
Святая прелесть в них.

С души как бремя скатится,
Сомненье далеко —
И верится, и плачется,
И так легко, легко...
 
BobG said:
A http://www.pendleton-usa.com/thumbnail/Home-Blankets/Native-American/Heritage-Collection/1973/c/1823/pc/1816.uts.

These are the same blankets that real Native Americans have bought for over a century.

Seriously. They've been selling blankets to Native Americans since the 1800's. They've always been so popular and ubiquitous among native Americans that a lot of the public have always thought that they must be designed and made by Native Americans.

That's such a great idea. I love Pendleton blankets! I only have one, it's a waaaay back classic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/130547144120?clk_rvr_id=249214788776

Blankets of this type were made for trade, and the number of stripes at the top and/or bottom was the "price" - the number of animal pelts that it was worth.

Here's a timely article about Pendleton:

http://www.slate.com/slideshow/arts/the-strange-history-of-the-indian-blanket
 
@nucleargirl: I liked your remarks. :smiley:
Especially the last one, which was extra funny because Google translate does not appear to have voice (I checked!).
 
@I_like_Serena: it does! but only for short sentences.