What Should I Say to Tim Reid at the Party?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Venus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
1,891
Reaction score
11
Right now Tim Reid (Venus Flytrap) is visiting next door to me. My neighbor is the brother of Tim's wife, Daphne Reid (Fresh Prince, etc). I'll be going over tonight for the birthday party of their common niece.

So, what do I say?

(Anyone under 40, google "WKRP in Cincinatti")
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found that it's best to treat a celebrity exactly the same way that you would any other new acquaintance. Chat about their lives and interests rather than their careers. That's not to say that you shouldn't complement them regarding performances that you admired, but don't dwell upon it. Who knows... you could end up going bowling or something with him if you get along.
 
I would be curious to know if he knows that the WKRP turkey drop is considered to be one of the funniest sketches of all time.

He would probably prefer to talk about anything but his acting.
 
I remember him! He was funny.
 
maybe ask an open-ended question like "so, are the rumors true?", and just see what comes out.

otherwise, i dunno. don't remember much about the show.
 
Interesting

Reid was born in Norfolk, Virginia, the son of Augustine (née Wilkins) and William Lee Reid.[1] He earned his Bachelor of Business Administration at Norfolk State College in 1968. Reid also became a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated.[2] After graduation he was hired by Dupont Corporation, where he worked for three years.[2]

Reid's entertainment career also began in 1968, under atypical circumstances. He and insurance salesman Tom Dreesen met at a Junior Chamber of Commerce meeting near Chicago.[3] They were "put together to promote an anti-drug program in the local schools" and, prompted by a comment from a child, decided to form a comedy team.[3] The team, later billed as "Tim & Tom", was the first interracial comedy duo. Years later, Reid and Dreesen co-wrote a book about those years called Tim & Tom: An American Comedy in Black and White (ISBN 978-0-226-70900-0, co-written with sports writer Ron Rapoport).
wiki
 
Ask him if he ever hit on Jan Smithers! I know I would have! One of the prettiest ladies to ever grace a sit-com.

Of course, not the best question to ask in the presence of his wife...
 
turbo-1 said:
Ask him if he ever hit on Jan Smithers!

Yeah, between her and Lonnie Anderson, there was a Mary Ann-Ginger thing going on. I was always a Mary Ann type of guy, hence Smithers.
 
I'm 27 and remember WKRP. Maybe they were re-runs, though.
 
Well, I never got to say anything to Tim Reid, but his wife Daphne, is a wonderful person. I had met her two times before. Tim spent the whole time I was there working on Daphne's new iPad, trying to get her passwords to work (something like that). We talked about photography and teaching. I never saw anything that she acted in, so there was no weirdness about it, but evidently she is the better-known actor.

Benny (my son, 5) had no problem going right up to Tim to tell him about the present they got for Rebecca (the common niece) who just turned 7. So Benny is the only one who really got to talk with him.
 
Chi Meson said:
Well, I never got to say anything to Tim Reid, but his wife Daphne, is a wonderful person. I had met her two times before. Tim spent the whole time I was there working on Daphne's new iPad, trying to get her passwords to work (something like that).

How strange; there was some guy calling himself Tim Reid, on PF all last night. :confused: