What the minimum mass for a habitable exoplanet or moon?

• Thread starter cosmicrock
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So ive read that super earths masses 2-10 can be habitable hold thick atmosphere and generate plate tectonics. So im wondering the absolute minimum mass an exoplanet or moon can be to stay habitable in the liquid H2O zone? I guess these would be called subearths.

Answers and Replies

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It would probably take a little over 1/2 earth mass to retain sufficient atmosphere and liquid water to support a biosystem.

Interesting question, considering the exoplanet 5r7a4br-Xm7 (Xavier-Levinson-7c), while approximately 40 times the diameter of Earth, and estimated to be 20~25 times more massive, shows strong evidence of supporting intelligent life. It's theorized the high rotational rate (approximately 32hr) offsets the strong gravitation enough to provide for what we could call "normal" life processes. Of course this data is being collected from Earth, and there is no way to know for certain if life exists on such a place.

The second quote concerning the fish is absurd. A fish cannot comprehend anything other than it's search for food. Even if it could comprehend 'water', there would be no way to detect if it were capable of comprehending such, as we have no process to communicate with fish. Therefore, the fish quote is ridiculous, and absurd.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The second quote concerning the fish is absurd. A fish cannot comprehend anything other than it's search for food. Even if it could comprehend 'water', there would be no way to detect if it were capable of comprehending such, as we have no process to communicate with fish. Therefore, the fish quote is ridiculous, and absurd.
That's his signature, it's in all his posts. Don't take it so seriously!

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm still working on my 'glub glub' translation skills.