What was it like to have lunch with FDR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 6K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
3,266
In honor of my father's military service in the US Marines, who passed in April 2011, here's a picture I snapped of his signed photograph of himself with President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the associated letter from The White House .



Here's dad with the photograph as it appeared in a newspaper article which tells the story behind having the honor of setting to the right of FDR and having lunch.


Eudoran_William_Goff__t440.jpg



http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/dec/18/lunch_fdr_satisfying_memory/


His Proud Son
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks guys. A few months before his sudden death, he gave me his account of all the photographs he had while stationed in the Aleutian islands.
 
It was for sure a great memory for him, and it definitely is a great memory for you :smile:
 
Thanks

Thanks.
If that stationing in the Aleutians was during the battle it was hard fighting and very harsh conditions, an episode not many people, outside American at least, know about.
 
epenguin said:
Thanks.
If that stationing in the Aleutians was during the battle it was hard fighting and very harsh conditions, an episode not many people, outside American at least, know about.

It was just after the battle but there was still plenty going on. He told me about the time a sub got through the nets and into the harbor. They waited until it had finished is business and moved out of the harbor where it was promptly eliminated. Dad was the Admiral's orderly/bodyguard who helped him get the this photo and another (not signed) through proper channels to the White House.

Oh. And there were daily earthquakes and trimmers. Maybe I'll snap a pic of his volcano photograph. I thinks it's the volcano that's been more active lately.
 
Here's the Mt. Shishaldin photograph and another of Dad with FDR.



 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's so cool, Don! Alaska wasn't even a state then, btw.
 
epenguin said:
Thanks.
If that stationing in the Aleutians was during the battle it was hard fighting and very harsh conditions, an episode not many people, outside American at least, know about.

I didn't know about it until I spent a summer long-line fishing black cod in the Aleutians. There were so many sunken Navy ships, some still poking above water!

dlgoff said:
It was just after the battle but there was still plenty going on. He told me about the time a sub got through the nets and into the harbor. They waited until it had finished is business and moved out of the harbor where it was promptly eliminated. Dad was the Admiral's orderly/bodyguard who helped him get the this photo and another (not signed) through proper channels to the White House.

Oh. And there were daily earthquakes and trimmers. Maybe I'll snap a pic of his volcano photograph. I thinks it's the volcano that's been more active lately.

Ah, the earthquakes. A sharp one hit under our ship. The whole ship rose and fell about an inch in a split second. Scared the bejeezus out of me (I think I actually said, should we check the rivets for leaking? :redface:), but the old salts just shrugged it off.
 
lisab said:
Ah, the earthquakes. A sharp one hit under our ship. The whole ship rose and fell about an inch in a split second. Scared the bejeezus out of me (I think I actually said, should we check the rivets for leaking? :redface:), but the old salts just shrugged it off.
Dad said that he had been shaken out of his bunk many times but got use to it. :bugeye: