First textbooks with 'precalculus' and 'discrete mathematics' in their titles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
The Bill
Messages
373
Reaction score
146
What was the first textbook for the modern syllabus of precaclulus which had "precalculus" in the title or subtitle?

What was the first textbook for the modern syllabus of discrete mathematics which had "discrete," "discrete mathematics" in the title or subtitle?

If you have personal experience with one of the books that gets mentioned, what are your opinions of it? How do you feel about its direct influence on students and educators, and possibly about its long term influence on mathematics education?

I've been wondering about the circumstances of the origins of these book+course trends. I don't fully trust the timelines of the search results I've gotten so far, and I want to see more personal opinions than I've found so far.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing that they were developed in the late fifties and sixties which were a period of experimentation in science education in the US. You might try looking for the organizations that were doing the work. The NSF funded a lot of the work, so you might look into their history.
 
The earliest I could find were the early sixties for discrete math and the early eighties for precalculus. I think before then precqlc it was called (mathematical) analysis, e.g. Dolciani's eponymous text