What's the Term for Spinning an Olive in a Glass Without Touching It?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Physics whizz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Physics whizz
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics whizz said:
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please be more specific? Can you provide any web pointers to a YouTube video or something to help us help you on this question? Where have you seen this?
 
I did a Google Images search on "spin an olive in a glass", and got a couple hits on bartending tricks. See trick #2 in this link:

http://tommen.hubpages.com/hub/Cool-Magic-Tricks

Is that what you are asking about?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried searching for it but as I can't think of the actual name for it it won't show me any results as to what I'm looking for.
All I really can think of is the example of if you place an olive, grapeor something like that onto a table and place a glass around it, and then start spinning the glass, what is the name of what the affect is. Sorry I can't be that specific :/
 
I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe... "

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe... "

Zz.

:smile:
 
I hate to break it to you guys but...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmYE_KLUFdPbjdthiVQWuvwASarKmj_z8UNS-UV7BCDstivNt.jpg
 
JHamm said:
I hate to break it to you guys but...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmYE_KLUFdPbjdthiVQWuvwASarKmj_z8UNS-UV7BCDstivNt.jpg

I think it's more likely that he was just trying to make a joke :P