Whats wrong with my ionocraft (HV ion lifter)?

• Thread starter arnab321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the ionocraft being described has a triangular frame made of broomsticks with sides of 10 cm each, using 45 gauge Cu wire from a quartz clock's circuit. The total weight is 2-3 gms and the air gap is about 3.5 cm. It is powered by a black and white TV flyback, producing a 4.5 cm spark that caused the Cu wire to oxidize instantly. However, the ionocraft does not seem to be working, despite adjusting the air gap and ensuring all wires are okay. The person asking for help is looking for guidance on what could be wrong and how much KV a 4.5 cm spark contains. They are also advised to understand
arnab321
vfxqxh.jpg

this is my ionocraft. sides of the triangluar frame are of 10 cm each. the frame is made of broomsticks because we don't get balsa wood here. I am using 45 gauge Cu wire (ripped off from a quartz clock's circuit). total weight is 2-3 gms. (i hv weighed it). air gap is about 3.5 cm.

im using the supply from a b/w tv flyback, which can give about 4.5 cm fat spark. the spark was so hot that my Cu wire attached to the flyback was oxidised instantly (turned black). i think that's enough for the lifter?

i connected the Cu wire to HV+ and the Al foil to ground of the flyback. the Cu wire on the frame began to vibrate, and part of the wire outside the frame was shaking like hell. but my ionocraft doest even stir. i have checked for continuity and ensured that all wires are ok.

i have tried adjusting the air gap to an optimum, for no sparking yet close enough. but no luck. can u tell me what's wrong? and how much KV do u think a 4.5cm spark may contain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try weighing it while it's running, or floating it on a frictionless surface. Maybe it just doesn't produce enough thrust.

Maybe you should understand more about how they're supposed to operate (I never heard of it till I saw your message, but it seems like a cool concept!). Then you'll have some idea how to diagnose it. The TV transformer probably produces pulsed DC, with a zero for half the cycle. Is that suitable? Is it OK for the thin wire need to be insulated?

1. What is an ionocraft (HV ion lifter) and how does it work?

An ionocraft is a type of lightweight flying machine that uses high voltage ionization to produce thrust. It works by creating a high voltage difference between two electrodes, which ionizes the surrounding air molecules. The ions are then attracted to the oppositely charged electrode, creating a flow of air and producing thrust.

2. Why is my ionocraft not lifting off the ground?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of power, improper electrode spacing, or a malfunctioning power source. It is also possible that the ionocraft is not generating enough thrust to overcome its own weight. Check the power source and make sure it is supplying enough voltage, and also check the spacing between the electrodes to ensure it is within the recommended range.

3. How do I control the direction and altitude of my ionocraft?

Unlike traditional aircraft, ionocrafts do not have control surfaces like wings or rudders. Instead, they rely on the principle of air flow and the placement of the electrodes to control direction and altitude. To move in a specific direction, the electrodes can be tilted or angled towards that direction. To change altitude, the voltage can be adjusted to increase or decrease the thrust.

4. Can I use any type of power source for my ionocraft?

No, it is important to use a high voltage power source specifically designed for ionocrafts. This is because the ionization process requires a high voltage difference in order to work effectively. Using a power source that is not powerful enough can result in a weak or non-existent thrust, while using a power source that is too powerful can damage the ionocraft.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with an ionocraft?

Yes, it is important to always handle high voltage with caution. Make sure to turn off the power source before making any adjustments or handling the ionocraft. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with high voltage. Additionally, be sure to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the ionocraft.