Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When did you first feel like a grown up

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    just seen this question being asked on youtube so thought i would start it here , so when did you feel less like a kid and more like an adult?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2
    I felt grown up for as long as I could remember. It was the adults around me whom I thought could use some growing up.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3
    When I signed up for an evening math upgrading class. Out of the 30 or so students, there were 8 of us who were out of high school and working full time, aged 21 to 56. The rest were still in high school. I think witnessing their behavior was the first time I felt I had grown up.

Anyway, we all predicted that the majority of those youngsters would drop halfway through, and only those that paid out of their own pocket would remain. Sure enough, within a month and a half there were only the 8 of us left.

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    I'll let you know when it happens.

6. Feb 29, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Dad, when I grow up I want to be a physicist.
    Son, you know you can't have it both ways.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Still Waiting. Unless you count the feeling when you got behind the wheel to start your first solo long distance road trip.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  8. Mar 4, 2016 #7
    When you start to feel that you want to live a young life again (most old people will probably have to go through this stage)
    and that's cool if they think they want to do it with a different life partner :DD, a sign of full maturity.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'll let you know when it happens.

[I'm 40.]

10. Mar 4, 2016 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Grrr, i am old and have been through several life partners and i still do not feel grown up:rolleyes::cool::biggrin:

11. Mar 4, 2016 #10
    I agree with the following:

B0lPLT1CYAAaxj0.png

As to OP question. I don't think I can spot a point when it happened. And even if I agree with the above, I'm not so sure I've ever felt less of a kid.

12. Mar 4, 2016 #11
    This on one hand seems to be a correct approach to realizing how much one may have probably grown up but on the other he won't likely recognize it's an endless enlightenment process he is pursuing, and thus even at 90, e.g he may still think he isn't a true grown-up at all. How to lead my life is a matter of my own choice regardless of my age anyway.

Perhaps it's the moment you start to or want to experience something totally different, e.g you no longer have an urge to peek or look at people's body parts, your partners may be of the same sex instead of opposite sex as usual, something you think you'd better enjoy having or doing with those you weren't allowed to do with during your previous time/childhood etc.

Above are just my personal ideas :biggrin:

13. Mar 4, 2016 #12

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I'm 27 in a few weeks. I feel neither grown up, or young but some weird hybrid.

What does make me feel old is the 18 year old freshers at the university (and the odd occasion when I meet a teenager). There's a startlingly obvious generation gap...

14. Mar 4, 2016 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I have enjoyed my FEMALE partners, who said i was fed up looking:biggrin: any way being grown up has nothing to do with sex it is knowing how to do it:cool:

15. Mar 4, 2016 #14
    I play a lot of competitive soccer and when my mens team plays against young teams I feel old lol. (About to turn 33)

16. Mar 4, 2016 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Greg how can one reach such an exhaled position after only 33yrs:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted