When did you first feel like a grown up

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary: I agree with the following:What does make me feel old is the 18 year old freshers at the university (and the odd occasion when I meet a teenager). There's a startlingly obvious generation gap...Some people feel less like a kid when they reach a certain age, but this is subjective. Some people feel less like a kid when they reach a certain age, but this is subjective.
hbk4894
just seen this question being asked on youtube so thought i would start it here , so when did you feel less like a kid and more like an adult?

Physics news on Phys.org
hbk4894 said:
just seen this question being asked on youtube so thought i would start it here , so when did you feel less like a kid and more like an adult?

I felt grown up for as long as I could remember. It was the adults around me whom I thought could use some growing up.

When I signed up for an evening math upgrading class. Out of the 30 or so students, there were 8 of us who were out of high school and working full time, aged 21 to 56. The rest were still in high school. I think witnessing their behavior was the first time I felt I had grown up.

Anyway, we all predicted that the majority of those youngsters would drop halfway through, and only those that paid out of their own pocket would remain. Sure enough, within a month and a half there were only the 8 of us left.

I'll let you know when it happens.

Likes nsaspook, Ryan_m_b, Garlic and 6 others
Dad, when I grow up I want to be a physicist.
Son, you know you can't have it both ways.

Likes nsaspook, Garlic, Tsu and 3 others
Still Waiting. Unless you count the feeling when you got behind the wheel to start your first solo long distance road trip.

Last edited:
When you start to feel that you want to live a young life again (most old people will probably have to go through this stage)
and that's cool if they think they want to do it with a different life partner :DD, a sign of full maturity.

hbk4894 said:
I'll let you know when it happens.

[I'm 40.]

Silicon Waffle said:
When you start to feel that you want to live a young life again (most old people will probably have to go through this stage)
and that's cool if they think they want to do it with a different life partner :DD, a sign of full maturity.

Grrr, i am old and have been through several life partners and i still do not feel grown up:rolleyes::cool::biggrin:

I agree with the following:

B0lPLT1CYAAaxj0.png

As to OP question. I don't think I can spot a point when it happened. And even if I agree with the above, I'm not so sure I've ever felt less of a kid.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
I agree with the following:

B0lPLT1CYAAaxj0.png

As to OP question. I don't think I can spot a point when it happened. And even if I agree with the above, I'm not so sure I've ever felt less of a kid.
This on one hand seems to be a correct approach to realizing how much one may have probably grown up but on the other he won't likely recognize it's an endless enlightenment process he is pursuing, and thus even at 90, e.g he may still think he isn't a true grown-up at all. How to lead my life is a matter of my own choice regardless of my age anyway.

wolram said:
Grrr, i am old and have been through several life partners and i still do not feel grown up:rolleyes::cool::biggrin:
Perhaps it's the moment you start to or want to experience something totally different, e.g you no longer have an urge to peek or look at people's body parts, your partners may be of the same sex instead of opposite sex as usual, something you think you'd better enjoy having or doing with those you weren't allowed to do with during your previous time/childhood etc.

Above are just my personal ideas :biggrin:

I'm 27 in a few weeks. I feel neither grown up, or young but some weird hybrid.

What does make me feel old is the 18 year old freshers at the university (and the odd occasion when I meet a teenager). There's a startlingly obvious generation gap...

Silicon Waffle said:
This on one hand seems to be a correct approach to realizing how much one may have probably grown up but on the other he won't likely recognize it's an endless enlightenment process he is pursuing, and thus even at 90, e.g he may still think he isn't a true grown-up at all. How to lead my life is a matter of my own choice regardless of my age anyway.Perhaps it's the moment you start to or want to experience something totally different, e.g you no longer have an urge to peek or look at people's body parts, your partners may be of the same sex instead of opposite sex as usual, something you think you'd better enjoy having or doing with those you weren't allowed to do with during your previous time/childhood etc.

Above are just my personal ideas :biggrin:

I have enjoyed my FEMALE partners, who said i was fed up looking:biggrin: any way being grown up has nothing to do with sex it is knowing how to do it:cool:

I play a lot of competitive soccer and when my mens team plays against young teams I feel old lol. (About to turn 33)

Likes wolram
Greg Bernhardt said:
I play a lot of competitive soccer and when my mens team plays against young teams I feel old lol. (About to turn 33)
Greg how can one reach such an exhaled position after only 33yrs:biggrin:

1. What experiences or events made you feel like a grown up?

For me, there were a few key experiences that made me feel like a grown up. Getting my first job, moving out of my parents' house, and paying my own bills all contributed to this feeling. But I think the biggest moment for me was when I had to make a major decision on my own, without consulting my parents or anyone else.

2. Did you have a specific moment when you realized you were an adult?

Yes, there was definitely a specific moment when I realized I was an adult. It was when I signed the lease for my first apartment. As I was signing my name, it hit me that I was responsible for this space and all the bills that came with it. It was a little scary, but also empowering.

3. Do you still have moments where you don't feel like a grown up?

Absolutely. Even though I have had many experiences that have made me feel like a grown up, there are still moments where I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I think it's important to remember that being an adult doesn't mean you have everything figured out.

4. What advice do you have for someone who wants to feel more like a grown up?

My advice would be to take on more responsibilities and make decisions for yourself. This could mean getting a job, moving out on your own, or even just taking on a new hobby or project. It's also important to remember that being a grown up is a process and it's okay to still feel like a kid sometimes.

5. Is there a specific age or milestone that defines adulthood?

No, there is no specific age or milestone that defines adulthood. Everyone matures and grows at their own pace, and there is no set timeline for when someone should feel like a grown up. It's a personal journey and everyone's experiences are different.