When exactly did 'quantum fluctuations' in the early universe occur?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of primordial black holes being a potential explanation for dark matter. The video mentioned is an explainer for primordial black holes and the consensus on when density fluctuations occurred in the early universe. Some theories suggest that dark matter may be sterile neutrinos formed shortly after inflation with electro weak symmetry breaking. However, there is no evidence yet to support this. The conversation also mentions the type 2 seesaw mechanism and its potential involvement in the paper. However, there is no clear mechanism for how the Big Bang could have created mini black holes. Overall, physicists do not believe that dark matter consists of black holes.
MJM
TL;DR Summary
A recent paper by Kawasaki and Murai discuss how quantum fluctuations could've led to primordial black holes, which eventually became the supermassive black holes we see today.
I came across this video today:

Which summarizes this new paper from University of Tokyo: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.02273.pdf

I get that the video is just an explainer for primordial black holes, but I was hoping to get a better explanation on exactly when conventional wisdom says density fluctuations occurred in the early universe. And what's the consensus on whether or not this can help explain dark matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I am unfamiliar with the AD field in this paper, which utilizes super symmetry (MSSM) in order to time with inflation estimates were looking at roughly ##10^{-32}## seconds.
No one knows what DM is for sure, however under MSSM treatments involving the Higgs field it's possible that DM may be sterile neutrinos which would form shortly after inflation with electro weak symmetry breaking (inflation itself may have be caused by EWSB) however this is just one theory among many.
Just a hunch but this reminds me of a type 2 seesaw mechanism involved in the paper. I would have to dig deeper to confirm that though

Last edited:
Lol the reminder due to similarities of type 2 seesaw under MSSM Higgs/Higglets is about as far as that went ...
Glad I checked lmao

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_black_hole

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/black-holes/could-dark-matter-be-black-holes/

So far there is no evidence of such black holes existing, though the Sky and Telescope article above brings up one candidate.

The Wikipedia article lists observational bounds for the mass and the abundance of primordial black holes.

There is no obvious mechanism how the Big Bang would create mini black holes.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/dark-matter-made-black-holes

It looks like physicists do not believe that dark matter consists of black holes.

1. What are quantum fluctuations in the early universe?

Quantum fluctuations refer to small, random fluctuations in the energy levels of particles in the early universe. These fluctuations are a result of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

2. When did quantum fluctuations occur in the early universe?

The exact timing of quantum fluctuations is still a subject of research and debate among scientists. However, it is believed that these fluctuations occurred during the inflationary period of the early universe, which lasted for a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

3. How do quantum fluctuations contribute to the formation of the universe?

Quantum fluctuations played a crucial role in the formation of the universe by providing the initial seeds of density variations that eventually led to the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures. These fluctuations were amplified during the inflationary period and became the basis for the formation of all structures in the universe.

4. Can we observe quantum fluctuations in the early universe?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly observe quantum fluctuations in the early universe. However, scientists can indirectly study their effects through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

5. Are quantum fluctuations the only explanation for the formation of the universe?

No, quantum fluctuations are not the only explanation for the formation of the universe. Other theories, such as the cyclic model and the ekpyrotic model, propose different mechanisms for the formation of the universe. However, quantum fluctuations remain a widely accepted explanation for the initial conditions of the universe.