Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When y= a constant, how do you find the interval of definition?

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    I used the linear equation method to solve a D.E. and got y=3/4 at the end. I'm asked to find the interval of definition but I don't know how to do that when Y is just a constant :/

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2
    If your solution is y=c then dy/dt must have been 0.
    Unless it was specified that dy/dt=0 on some particular interval, then your solution should be valid for all t.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    So the interval of definition would be (-∞,∞)?

I just don't get how a function can have a domain when it's just a constant...

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

If your function is y(t) = 3/4, it means that for any t you give the function as an input, the function returns the value 3/4. So, the domain is whatever range of values of t you are allowed to put into your function. It doesn't matter that your function happens to return a constant in this case.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    thanks

7. Jan 28, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Every function has a domain.
    I wouldn't use the word "range" when you're talking about the domain, because of confusing the issue with the function's range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook