Where can I find classic mathematical treatises?

In summary, classic mathematical treatises can be found in print at local and university libraries, as well as online through websites like Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive. There are also specific websites and databases that specialize in these treatises, and rare or out-of-print ones can be accessed through specialized libraries or institutions. Physical stores that sell these treatises may be rare, but can be found through online searches.
AdrianZ
I'm looking for an English translation of Lagrange's treatise "Reflections on the algebric solutions of equations" (Reflexions sur la Resolution Algebrique des Equations). I've searched the internet for it but haven't found anything about it yet. Where can I find such truly classic treatises?

Physics news on Phys.org
try eulers elements of algebra

mathwonk said:
try eulers elements of algebra

I have that book. But I'm looking for langrange's method of finding symmetric polynomials for solving cubic and quartic equations. He has written a good treatise on that where he incompletely and probably unintentionally talks about Lagrange theorem in group theory.

1. Where can I find classic mathematical treatises in print?

Many classic mathematical treatises can be found in print at your local library or university library. These institutions usually have a dedicated section for mathematical texts and may also offer interlibrary loan services if they don't have a specific treatise in their collection.

2. Can I find classic mathematical treatises online?

Yes, many classic mathematical treatises are available for free online through websites such as Project Gutenberg or Internet Archive. Some may also be available for purchase through e-book retailers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

3. Are there any specific websites or databases that specialize in classic mathematical treatises?

Yes, there are several websites and databases that focus specifically on classic mathematical treatises, such as the Mathematical Association of America's Digital Library and the Cornell University Library's Historical Math Monographs collection.

4. How can I access rare or out-of-print mathematical treatises?

If a treatise is rare or out-of-print, it may be more difficult to access. Your best bet would be to check with specialized libraries or institutions, such as the Clay Mathematics Institute or the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which may have a collection of rare mathematical texts.

5. Are there any physical stores that sell classic mathematical treatises?

While it may be uncommon, there are some physical stores that specialize in selling rare and out-of-print books, including classic mathematical treatises. These stores may be more prevalent in larger cities and can often be found through a quick online search.