Where can I find easy-to-understand GAIA exoplanet data?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Cerenkov
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 4K views
Cerenkov
Messages
387
Reaction score
102
Hello.


I've been following the progress of the GAIA satellite since its launch, especially with an eye on what it has to tell us about exoplanets.

From the linked article below I learned that the data about 3556 exoplanets and 2573 of their host stars have been compiled into a catalogue.

https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2025/07/aa54739-25.pdf

Below are links to the catalogue in question.

https://cdsarc.cds.unistra.fr/viz-bin/cat/J/A+A/699/A100
https://vizier.cds.unistra.fr/viz-bin/VizieR-3?-source=J/A+A/699/A100/table1

For an enthusiastic amateur like myself, the information displayed in these links is both "an embarrassment of riches" and "an enigma wrapped up in a mystery". I'm delighted that it exists, but the form in which it's presented makes it nearly impossible for me to understand it. I can glean some understanding from the infographics and graphs in the .pdf paper, but not much.

So, here's where I reach out for help and ideas from the members of this forum.

Does anyone know of any other sources where the GAIA exoplanet data is displayed in a more popular-level and user-friendly format? For the sake of clarity, at this stage I don't wish to go in and investigate the details of any particular GAIA exoplanet but would be much happier gaining a kind of overview of the discoveries. If that were possible.

My thanks in advance for any help given.


Cerenkov.
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
IIRC the team did release an interactive 3d visualiser for the data, called Gaia Sky. I don't think I've ever got it to run past checking out the setup. so I can't tell how good of a fit it might be. It will probably require some learning investment to use, as it's not exactly plug-and-play. Start with the wiki page, then maybe some YouTube tutorials - if only to see if it'll do.
 
Thank you very much Bandersnatch.


I'll check out both options - GAIA Sky itself and the YouTube tutorials.


Thanks again,


Cerenkov.
 
phyzguy said:
Maybe this link will help?

Great minds think alike, phyzguy! 👍


It was that ESA article that reminded me to check in on GAIA's data release 3 to see what kind of exoplanet data was there. Then I found the stuff I linked to in my opening post, prompting me to start this thread and ask for help.

So, with your input, things have come full circle. :smile:


Thank you,


Cerenkov.