Where photons will stop being themselves

• Thread starter Kunzite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation discusses the electromagnetic spectrum and whether there is a point where it is no longer made up of photons. The person suggests that even at lower frequencies where individual photons cannot be counted, there are still photons present. Another person mentions that the lower bound for individual photon counting is in the microwave range, but is unsure of the capabilities of detectors at lower frequencies.
Kunzite
Hi!
I am new on this forum and would you please excuse me if this is off topic, I do not dare opening another thread for my silly question:
I'm puzzeled by the electromagnetic spectrum when going to lower fequencies.. Is there a point where it is not photons anymore ?
For example red light=photons, infrared= photons, microwaves= photons right? Radio waves photons? Very Low Radio Frequencies, photons?, And what if I shake a magnet in an alternative 1Hz move... Do I still create photons ? :rolleyes:

Cordially
Jacques D Paris France
Thx to your old folks for coming :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but the photon energy would be so low that there will be so many photons that you wouldn't notice the quantization.

Does anyone know the lowest energy (frequency) at which individual photons can be counted?

I think microwave (300 MHz (3 x 10^8 Hz) to 300 GHz (3 x 10^11 Hz)) is the lower bound, but I'm not sure how far down into the band detectors can function.

Related to Where photons will stop being themselves

1. What are photons and where do they come from?

Photons are tiny particles of light that are the fundamental units of electromagnetic radiation. They can come from a variety of sources, including the sun, light bulbs, and even from our own bodies.

2. Can photons ever stop being themselves?

As far as we know, photons cannot stop being themselves. They are considered to be fundamental particles and do not have any internal structure that can change or be altered.

3. Is there a specific point where photons stop being themselves?

There is no known specific point where photons stop being themselves. However, photons can interact with other particles and energy, which can change their behavior and properties.

4. How do scientists study photons and their behavior?

Scientists use a variety of methods, such as spectroscopy and particle accelerators, to study photons and their behavior. These techniques allow us to observe and measure the properties of photons and how they interact with matter.

5. Can we create or destroy photons?

Photons cannot be created or destroyed, but they can be converted into other forms of energy and matter. For example, when photons are absorbed by a material, they can create an electron and a positron, which are both forms of matter. Similarly, when matter and antimatter collide, they can produce photons.