Where to place parentheses in 2 · 8 ÷ 4 - 20 to get -36?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tionis
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
tionis
Gold Member
Messages
459
Reaction score
67
Hi guys. I'm asked to insert parentheses where needed so that the following expression evaluates to the given number negative 36:

2 ⋅ 8 ÷ 4 - 20 = - 36

My attempts:

( 2 ⋅ 8 ) ÷ ( 4 - 20 ) = 16 ÷ -16 = -1

2 ⋅ ( 8 ÷ 4 ) - 20 = 2 ( 2 ) - 20 = -16

( 2 ⋅ 8 ÷ 4 ) - 20 = -16

I just don't know what other combination I can try that will yield -36 as a solution. Please help me. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: 2 x -18 = -36

If you'll forgive the lack of parenthesis!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: tionis
PeroK said:
Hint: 2 x -18 = -36

If you'll forgive the lack of parenthesis!

I got it lol.

2 ⋅ [ ( 8 ÷ 4 ) - 20 ] = 2 [ ( 2 ) - 20 ]
= 2 [ -18] = -36

Thank you so much, PeroK! You're AWESOME!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK