Which books provide the best understanding of quaternions for scientists?

  • Topic: Algebra 
  • Thread starter Thread starter BigFlorida
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quaternions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
BigFlorida
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
I am very much interested in gaining an in-depth knowledge of quaternions, yet I cannot find any reviews of books on quaternions anywhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are Hamilton's and Tait's books my best bet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
@micromass The relevant math courses I have completed (or am taking *) are calculus I through III, Linear Algebra*, Differential Equations I*, Vector Analysis* (Including a brief intro to tensors), and Theoretical physics I*(which covers cal 2, cal 3, linear algebra, complex arithmetic, DE I, DE II, Fourier Analysis, and Vector Analysis). I am self-studying Fourier Analysis, Perturbation Theory, Complex Analysis, Differential Geometry for next semester. I would just like to know more about quaternions because I did a project in my vector analysis course in which I had to give a brief history of William Rowan Hamilton's life, and quaternions have very much captured my interest, but it is hard to find any recommended literature on the subject. Also, I have deduced that an understanding of quaternions will come in handy in QM and this is about the point in the semester that I like to begin preparing for next semester.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BigFlorida