Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which one is better dictionary

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    which one is better dictionary
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    Merriam -webster
    please tell which has easy to learn definitions ,I have seen that merriam has quite confusing way to define a word

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no "one dictionary good for everyone". Check them all and see which one works for you.

4. Sep 20, 2015 #3
    yes!you are actually RIGHT in this
    thanks a lot

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Sep 20, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now, pick up a dictionary and check the definition of "write". :wink:

6. Sep 20, 2015 #5
    hahah ! I feel so embarrassing .I can't recall how it came there. I must be in my dreams .
    thank you so much for mentioning that .how stupid of me .:cry::sorry::frown::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

7. Sep 20, 2015 #6

jtbell

Blame it on the auto-correcting spelling- or grammar-checker in your browser. :oldwink:

8. Sep 20, 2015 #7
    I actually find the Merriam-Webster to be the all around best. I don't know why you'd find it confusing.

9. Sep 20, 2015 #8

OCR

Google actually works pretty well... sometimes you have to put "define" in front of the word, though.

Usually, you can just highlight a word and left click... Search Google for, in this example... "click".

Serch with google.JPG

Merriam-Webster probably is the all around best, though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  10. Sep 21, 2015 #9

Ryan_m_b

Note that the Cambridge and Oxford English Dictionaries are British English, Webster's is American English. Not many but some words will be spelt differently, some will be used differently and other words will be completely different. For example:

British English: "By accident I fell over the centre of the pavement"

American English: "On accident I fell over the center of the sidewalk"

11. Sep 21, 2015 #10
    Actually "by accident" is correct American English, and is the preposition I learned. "On accident" is a sort of slang perversion that started among young people within the last twenty years. Like a lot of slang, quite a few of the second generation of people who use it don't realize it's slang and receive it as the "normal" usage.

Indeed, there has been a widespread screwing up of prepositional convention lately in English that doesn't bode well for the future of effective communication.

12. Sep 21, 2015 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its like, downward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook