Which one is better dictionary

• Thread starter ujjwal3097
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: Its like, downward.In summary, the best dictionary is whichever one is easy to learn the definitions in.
ujjwal3097
which one is better dictionary
Cambridge
Oxford
Merriam -webster
please tell which has easy to learn definitions ,I have seen that merriam has quite confusing way to define a word

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "one dictionary good for everyone". Check them all and see which one works for you.

Likes ujjwal3097
yes!you are actually RIGHT in this
thanks a lot

Last edited:
ujjwal3097 said:
yes!you are actually write in this
thanks a lot
Now, pick up a dictionary and check the definition of "write". :wink:

Likes ujjwal3097
SteamKing said:
Now, pick up a dictionary and check the definition of "write". :wink:
hahah ! I feel so embarrassing .I can't recall how it came there. I must be in my dreams .
thank you so much for mentioning that .how stupid of me .:cry::sorry::frown::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

ujjwal3097 said:
I can't recall how it came there.

Blame it on the auto-correcting spelling- or grammar-checker in your browser. :oldwink:

I actually find the Merriam-Webster to be the all around best. I don't know why you'd find it confusing.

Google actually works pretty well... sometimes you have to put "define" in front of the word, though.

Usually, you can just highlight a word and left click... Search Google for, in this example... "click".

Serch with google.JPG

Merriam-Webster probably is the all around best, though.

Last edited:
Note that the Cambridge and Oxford English Dictionaries are British English, Webster's is American English. Not many but some words will be spelt differently, some will be used differently and other words will be completely different. For example:

British English: "By accident I fell over the centre of the pavement"

American English: "On accident I fell over the center of the sidewalk"

Ryan_m_b said:
British English: "By accident I fell over the centre of the pavement"

American English: "On accident I fell over the center of the sidewalk"
Actually "by accident" is correct American English, and is the preposition I learned. "On accident" is a sort of slang perversion that started among young people within the last twenty years. Like a lot of slang, quite a few of the second generation of people who use it don't realize it's slang and receive it as the "normal" usage.

Indeed, there has been a widespread screwing up of prepositional convention lately in English that doesn't bode well for the future of effective communication.

Likes OCR
zoobyshoe said:
Actually "by accident" is correct American English, and is the preposition I learned. "On accident" is a sort of slang perversion that started among young people within the last twenty years. Like a lot of slang, quite a few of the second generation of people who use it don't realize it's slang and receive it as the "normal" usage.

Indeed, there has been a widespread screwing up of prepositional convention lately in English that doesn't bode well for the future of effective communication.

Its like, downward.

1. What is the difference between a physical dictionary and an online dictionary?

The main difference between a physical dictionary and an online dictionary is the format in which the information is presented. A physical dictionary is a book with pages that you can flip through to find the words you are looking for, while an online dictionary is a digital version that you can access through the internet. Additionally, online dictionaries often have more features such as audio pronunciation and example sentences.

2. Which one is more accurate: a physical dictionary or an online dictionary?

Both physical and online dictionaries can be accurate, but it ultimately depends on the source. Physical dictionaries are typically more reliable because they go through a rigorous editing and proofreading process before being published. Online dictionaries can also be accurate, but it is important to check the credibility of the website or app before using it as a reliable source.

3. Do online dictionaries have more words than physical dictionaries?

Yes, online dictionaries tend to have a larger database of words compared to physical dictionaries. This is because online dictionaries can easily add and update new words, while physical dictionaries have a limited number of pages and are usually only updated every few years.

4. Is it better to use a dictionary or a thesaurus?

It depends on your specific needs. A dictionary is used to find the meaning, pronunciation, and usage of a word, while a thesaurus is used to find synonyms and antonyms of a word. If you are looking to expand your vocabulary or find alternative words, a thesaurus would be more useful. However, if you simply want to understand the meaning of a word, a dictionary would be the better choice.

5. Which one is more convenient: a physical dictionary or an online dictionary?

This also depends on personal preference. Physical dictionaries are great for those who prefer a tangible book and do not have access to the internet. Online dictionaries, on the other hand, are more convenient for those who have access to the internet and prefer quick and easy access to definitions and other features, such as audio pronunciation.