Which Type of Brass is Most Susceptible to Corrosion in Experiments?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Buster123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Corrosion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Buster123
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have been given the task to corrode brass with common base, acid and salt. I understand that it is an alloy of copper and zinc and is actually designed not to rust. Before I begin the experiment, I am looking for the best TYPE of brass to use in this experiment. Given that there appears to be hundreds of different types of brass with different properties, which type will give me the best chance for visible results?


Homework Equations


Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc


The Attempt at a Solution


I have looked all over the internet... and have contacted several "brass wholesale suppliers" who have simply stated that they are not "scientists."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Include "dezincification" in your search for brass. You want a brass that is http://corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corrbrass.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator: