Who Are Your Inspirational Figures in Science and Music?

  • Thread starter Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
28 replies · 4K views
theoristo
Messages
151
Reaction score
3
My personal favorite is Feynman,for living inspirational icons it would be neil degrasse tyson or Sean Carroll because they're really really good or william dunham because of his book,what about you ,who inspires you?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richard Dawkins for giving me the only plausible answer to the question "Why am I here?" and a much deeper appeciation of nature, Ludwig Wittgenstein for helping me sort out which questions are worth asking and which are not.
 
I find Lev Landau inspiring. He contributed to many areas of physics. From solid state to fluid dynamics, and cryogenics to plasma physics!
 
WannabeNewton said:
Beavis and Butthead.

Butt-Head: Hey Beavis. I bet when we get that reward money, we can like, see that movie about stiffies, and we can like, pay for our own tattoos.

Beavis: Yeah! Then we'll be cool.

Butt-Head: I'll get a tattoo of a butt.

Beavis: I'll get a tattoo of a butt *on* my butt!

Butt-Head: Oh yeah?

Beavis: Yeah!

Butt-Head: Well I'll get a tattoo of a butt that has a butt-shaped tattoo on it, and I'll get it right on my butt! That would be cool.

Beavis: [briefly pauses] Yeah, me too.

huhu uh uh
 
Pythagorean said:
Roger Waters and David Gilmour

from my musical perspective that would also be a yes for me. Tho I would have to add
Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac. I have always been really impressed by Lindsey's guitar style.

In the sciences field ... hmmmm, there's no one that really stands out. Over the many years there's been a lot of guys that have mentored me in audio and RF electronics. There were several lecturers at university during my geology studies I really looked up to. They just had an awesome teaching style. ( and of course there were some that were pretty bad!)

Dave
 
WannabeNewton said:
Beavis and Butthead.

that's a bit of a worry WBN ;)

haha

D
 
I think Waters and Gilmour even inspired me towards science by making me think about things in a deeper context. As far as scientists go, Henri Poincare is pretty far up there, probably Erdos too. I really like the polymaths.
 
One of my mathematics professors. He is my man-crush.
 
Sherlock Holmes (Doyle's); Howard Roark (Rand's); Albert Einstein (From Ideas and Opinions); Madam Curie; Agatha Christie; Prometheus; The Universe...
 
krash661 said:
the sixth finger(1963) and dr. manhattan.

Your obsession with Dr Manhattan almost equals mine with Sherlock Holmes...
Though I have to admit I did not like that movie- Darkness I can put up with but not with hopelessness.
 
krash661 said:
the reason why I'm obsessed are in these descriptions,

dr. manhattan,
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0060115/bio

the sixth finger,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667848/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I have seen the movie. I liked Rorsach better. Probably because a) even he wasn't as hopeless as Manhattan was towards the end. b) manhattan's omnisensce scares me - I couldn't bear to wake up and realize there's nothing more to be learnt. c) Rorsach tells a great joke...
 
Sheldon Cooper :D yes I know he is fictional but as I can relate to some aspects of the character, I feel asthough I should so in math / physics too.
 
MathJakob said:
Sheldon Cooper :D yes I know he is fictional but as I can relate to some aspects of the character, I feel asthough I should so in math / physics too.

Well MJ if you can have a fictional character, I can have robots: the Mars Rovers! Especially Spirit and Opportunity :!). Their story actually makes me emotional :redface:. They inspire me with their "perseverance" and "courage", and how they exceeded all expectations. Yes, it's as if they had personalities.

Y'all know anthropomorphism, of course. My new word: anthro-robo-morphism :approve:.
 
lisab said:
Well MJ if you can have a fictional character, I can have robots: the Mars Rovers! Especially Spirit and Opportunity :!). Their story actually makes me emotional :redface:. They inspire me with their "perseverance" and "courage", and how they exceeded all expectations. Yes, it's as if they had personalities.

Y'all know anthropomorphism, of course. My new word: anthro-robo-morphism :approve:.

I really should have added them to my list...
 
MathJakob said:
Sheldon Cooper :D yes I know he is fictional but as I can relate to some aspects of the character, I feel asthough I should so in math / physics too.

Et tu MJ, then fall my ego.
I'm going to go and eat my hat...
*dips it into mayo*
(To anyone who doesn't have any idea what I am talking about: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703676 watch me get pulverized here :o))
 
Bertrand Russel, Carl Sagan and Mikael Akerfeldt!
 
ViolentCorpse said:
Bertrand Russel, Carl Sagan and Mikael Akerfeldt!

Willing to wager that most people wouldn't know the last guy. Those not into Opeth, that is. Luckily, I'm not one of those. :biggrin:

If, on the other hand, you'd mentioned Brian May, even PF-ers who were never into Queen's music might know the name, since he's a PhD in Astrophysics and all.
 
Curious3141 said:
Willing to wager that most people wouldn't know the last guy. Those not into Opeth, that is. Luckily, I'm not one of those. :biggrin:

If, on the other hand, you'd mentioned Brian May, even PF-ers who were never into Queen's music might know the name, since he's a PhD in Astrophysics and all.

Haha It's great to see a fellow Opeth fan at PF! :biggrin:

Btw, I didn't know Brian May was a PhD in Astrophysics! :O