Who Gets a Free Book and Calendar at the Book Sale?

  • Thread starter Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Word problem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
t3rom
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Every 6th person who arrives at a book sale receives a free calendar and every 8th person receives a free book. Which of the first 50 people receive a book and a calendar?

Homework Equations


Kindly check and the solution please. Can't really figure it out.

The Attempt at a Solution


Every 14th person a free calendar and book.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to this number 14 ?
 
It is my son who came up with 14. I'm not good at math unfortunately.
 
Then we do the counting: numbers 6, 12, 18 etc get a calendar.
Numbers 8, 16, etc get a book.

Continue the series and find the folks that get both !
See if there is a way to do it when they ask for the first 1000 customers ...
 
t3rom said:
It is my son who came up with 14. I'm not good at math unfortunately.

I can imagine a good, old argument in the bookstore: "my son was the 14th person in the store, so he wants his fee calendar and his free book".
 
I came up with 24 and 48. Is this correct? Thanks for helping!
 
That's the idea. Numbers like 24 and 48 can be divided by 8 and by 6.
 
t3rom said:
I came up with 24 and 48. Is this correct? Thanks for helping!

Hopefully the bookstore owner would agree with that and there would be no argument!