Who is Burt Bacharach and why are his songs timeless?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
13 replies · 3K views
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
3,883
Reaction score
6,216
Burt Bacharach has passed at 94, Certainly of my favourites.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/feb/09/burt-bacharach-
1675957312270.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BWV
Physics news on Phys.org
Last great songwriter in the Great American Songbook

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
I had no idea he was still alive.
He isn't. Or did you mean prior to his death? I think I would have remembered that announcement, like Lemmy.

Anyway, when a beautiful song meets a beautiful voice.
Dusty Springfield, The look of Love. Hopefully it will be play friendly.

 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Susanna Hoff, The Look of Love.
 
Two of his biggest hits



 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, BWV, Astronuc and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
Two of his biggest hits
I'd never heard of Bacharach until Raindrops became a hit.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Astronuc said:
I'd never heard of Bacharach until Raindrops became a hit.
Probably the same for me.

And I have been in love with Katherine Ross ever since I saw that movie scene. :oldlaugh:
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Probably the same for me.

And I have been in love with Katherine Ross ever since I saw that movie scene. :oldlaugh:
There were plenty of attactive actresses, and they were out of my league. Katherine Ross divorced 4 times, and is now married to Sam Elliot. And there were actresses like Inger Stevens and Diana Rigg, who I would never meet in person.

I did meet many wonderful women during my university years and married one with whom I'm still married.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and pinball1970
What amazes me is all the music genre he made.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Ivan Seeking
Astronuc said:
I'd never heard of Bacharach until Raindrops became a hit.
Never heard of him till the 1980s when I was learning guitar and piano probably.

Getting the chords out to all these great songs and thinking, who the hell is Burt Bacharach (and Hal David)!?

Did he just write the late 60s early 70s??
There were just so many by different artists.
I only just found out that he co-wrote “Arthur” too.
I always thought that was just Christopher Cross on his own.

If you watch him talk about his tracks in later life he was so quietly spoken and jazz cool is the only way I can describe him.

He hardly moved his mouth and had a constant half smile on his face, a far out guy.
Brilliant.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and dlgoff