Who is Penrose Sir Roger Penrose? Insights from His Recent Interviews

In summary, Sir Roger Penrose, a famous mathematician and physicist, is still active at almost 90 years old. There have been recent interviews with him where he discusses new ideas, his academic work, and shares stories from his early life and career. He is known as a polymath and a true universalist in the world of science, and his work has captured the public's attention. Some of his interviews can be found on podcasts and YouTube channels.
Auto-Didact
Sir Roger Penrose, famous for his numerous contributions to mathematics and physics, is approaching 90 but still pretty active. In this thread I'll post some of his most recent and best interviews.

The interviews tend to be a mixture of him talking about some new idea of his, his prior academic work interlaced with colorful stories about his early life growing up, his time in school and at Cambridge and events later in life working together with other scientists and mathematicians.

Interviewed by Joe Rogan:

Interviewed by Hannah Fry (public lecture, interview starts around 32 minute mark):

Interviewed by Andrew Hodges:

Interviewed by DAI Heidelberg:

Interviewed by Howard Burton:

Likes vela, Greg Bernhardt, DennisN and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing these videos here.

What is your interest in Prof Penrose?

Likes AlexCaledin
Just a fan really. I share a lot of his interests such as GR, the measurement problem, geometry, the hard problem of consciousness, mathematically non-standard ways of doing standard physics, and doing mathematics for the fun of it.

Penrose, unlike pretty much all other living famous physicists, is actually a polymath: a true classical pure mathematician, a geometer turned physicist, a truly bold and independent thinker and a marvelous teacher, writer and communicator.

Historically, this practically puts him in the same category of thinkers known as the universalists, i.e. a small group of elite 17th-20th century mathematicians (starting with Newton and Leibniz), who were also physicists, who moreover weren't put off by philosophy.

It is often said that Poincaré was the last surviving universalist when Hilbert and his followers took over. This isn't entirely accurate, since I can name a few others e.g. Mandelbrot, 't Hooft and Atiyah, while today most potential universalists seem to end up stuck in (applied) mathematics (e.g. Tao, Strogatz, Frenkel).

Unlike those named above however, Penrose seems to be the only real universalist after Poincaré, because he both did mainstream work at the highest levels, in physics as well as mathematics, and at the same time could capture the public's attention a bit as well.

Somehow, most people, especially outside of physics/mathematics, seem to have heard of his recreative works, but remain woefully unaware of the rest, while many younger physicists and mathematicians, already flooded by other content, are totally oblivious; I'm hoping my posts will reach them.

Likes OCR, pinball1970, AlexCaledin and 2 others
Penrose is on Sean Carroll's podcast:

They start off recounting the events of his experiences of the early GR days, cosmology and other topics. I just started listening, it's pretty good, definitely if you're a fan of GR, cosmology and/or just like hearing story about the history of physics as recounted by physicists who were literally there.

Likes DennisN
Auto-Didact said:
The interviews tend to be a mixture of him talking about some new idea of his, his prior academic work interlaced with colorful stories about his early life growing up, his time in school and at Cambridge and events later in life working together with other scientists and mathematicians.
Thanks for posting the videos! They seem very interesting, so now I have something else besides cat videos to watch on youtube tonight. :smile:

OCR said:
Well, you could watch Machine Shop videos, also... . :wink:

This Old Tony - YouTube
Off topic, but I'm a fan of his as well. I've seen a number of Tony's videos, as well as the next guy on your list. Others in a similar vein are Keith Appleton, who works with model steam engines, and Tubalcain AKA mrpete222.
OCR said:
Abom79 - YouTube

Stefan Gotteswinter - YouTube

Haas Automation, Inc. - YouTube

Check some of them out out... I like them all, but This Old Tony is classic !

I have a lot more bookmarked... . :olduhh: . :approve:BTW... Sir Roger Penrose is beyond compare !

Likes OCR
Auto-Didact said:
Penrose is on Sean Carroll's podcast:

They start off recounting the events of his experiences of the early GR days, cosmology and other topics. I just started listening, it's pretty good, definitely if you're a fan of GR, cosmology and/or just like hearing story about the history of physics as recounted by physicists who were literally there.

I really enjoyed this interview! :smile: The scope of the conversation was vast, but I sometimes enjoy that, depending on who the participants are. An besides science, I think Sean Carroll has an extra talent in communication. I think he is a very good communicator.

1. Who is Penrose Sir Roger Penrose?

Sir Roger Penrose is a renowned British mathematician, physicist, and philosopher of science. He is known for his groundbreaking contributions to the fields of general relativity, cosmology, and mathematical physics. He is currently an Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics at the Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford.

2. What are some of Penrose's notable achievements?

Penrose has made significant contributions to our understanding of black holes, the Big Bang theory, and the concept of space-time. He is also known for his work on the mathematics of symmetry and tiling, which has influenced the field of crystallography. He has received numerous awards and honors for his work, including the prestigious Wolf Prize in Physics and the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2020.

3. How has Penrose's work impacted the scientific community?

Penrose's work has had a profound impact on the fields of mathematics, physics, and cosmology. His theories and insights have led to new developments and advancements in our understanding of the universe. He has also inspired countless scientists and researchers to further explore and push the boundaries of knowledge.

4. What are some recent interviews or talks by Penrose?

In recent years, Penrose has given several interviews and talks discussing his work and theories. Some notable examples include his appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast and his TED talk on "Fashion, Faith, and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe." He also has a YouTube channel, "Penrose Institute," where he shares his thoughts and ideas on various topics.

5. How can I learn more about Penrose and his work?

There are several resources available to learn more about Penrose and his work. You can read his books, such as "The Emperor's New Mind" and "The Road to Reality," which discuss his theories in depth. You can also watch his talks and interviews, or explore his research papers and articles. Additionally, the Mathematical Institute at the University of Oxford has a webpage dedicated to Penrose's work, which includes information on his current research and publications.