Who Was the Last Castrato Singer in the Sistine Chapel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter arildno
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,165
Reaction score
138
Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was the last castrato singer in the Sistine Chapel.


In 1902 and 1904, he made some recordings, so that we still can hear how a castrato singer sounded like.



Here is his wikipedia biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Moreschi
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a moment there I thought this was going to be about a castrato that was still alive. I was beginning to wonder when they had stopped doing that.
 
Good job that the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.
 
mgb_phys said:
Good job that the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.

Dolly Parton is still around, isn't she?
 
arildno said:
Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was the last castrato singer in the Sistine Chapel.

That guy is terrible!
 
I took singing lessons to learn how to project from my diaphragm and did a lot of breathing exercises but it hasn't helped, I still can't sing well. What's my next move?
 
jimmysnyder said:
I still can't sing well. What's my next move?
Two bricks?
 
Never mind. My voice coach just told me. :eek: I've decided I don't have an ear for music anyway. Not since I tried to learn the post-impressionist painting style.
 
It's not bad, but I really prefer Sarah Brightman's version. Unfortunately, although Sarah has many versions of Ave Maria on YouTube, I don't think they are the good ones...so I had to upload this myself

http://www.mediafire.com/?fryiez5nywn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Never mind. My voice coach just told me. :eek: I've decided I don't have an ear for music anyway. Not since I tried to learn the post-impressionist painting style.

Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.
I'm running out of things to cut off. My legs were blown off in the war so I had to lay down my arms.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.

speaking of which, i thought this thread was going to be about michael jackson. there was once a rumor that he was a castrato.