Have you ever been to the Sistine chapel?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two places that are considered to be amazing to see in real life: the Sistine Chapel and Ayer's Rock. The Sistine Chapel is described as a beautiful work of art and architecture, with the ceiling depicting scenes from the Bible. The conversation also mentions that the experience of seeing it may not necessarily be religious for everyone. The conversation also briefly touches on the suggestion to visit St. Peter's in the Vatican and other cathedrals in Rome before seeing the Sistine Chapel.
tribdog
I'm an atheist, but I'd really like to see the Sistine chapel. If you've ever been there, what's it like? I picture it being like a religious experience without the religious part, at least it would be for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another place that I heard is amazing to see in real life is Ayer's rock. If you've ever seen it, is it as amazing and life changing as I've heard?

The Sistine Chapel is beautiful in terms of art and architecture. Don't think a religious feeling even came into it for me.

I've been told there are pictures of naked people there.
Chapelle_sixtine_plafond.jpg

I was there a few years ago. When you go to Rome, see St. Peter's in the Vatican on the last day. Before that visit at least some of the other cathedrals in the city. They were built with the idea of enhancing the feeling of size in general and height in particular. That way you will feel the magnificence of St. Peter's for it enhances that feeling all the more. There you will also find the Sistine Chapel. The ceiling is divided into panels depicting scenes from the Bible. Michaelangelo didn't want to paint it because he saw himself as a sculptor. One of the inducements to get him to do it was a free hand in deciding what to paint. The result is that the master's hand is visible throughout.

Related to Have you ever been to the Sistine chapel?

1. What is the Sistine Chapel?

The Sistine Chapel is a famous chapel located in Vatican City, Rome. It is known for its beautiful frescoes painted by renowned artists such as Michelangelo, Botticelli, and Perugino.

2. When was the Sistine Chapel built?

The Sistine Chapel was built between 1477 and 1483 under the direction of Pope Sixtus IV, who it is named after.

3. How long did it take to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

It took Michelangelo four years to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, from 1508 to 1512.

4. What is the most famous artwork in the Sistine Chapel?

The most famous artwork in the Sistine Chapel is the ceiling fresco painted by Michelangelo, which depicts scenes from the Bible, including the famous Creation of Adam.

5. Can anyone visit the Sistine Chapel?

Yes, the Sistine Chapel is open to the public for viewing during the Vatican Museum's opening hours. However, visitors are required to follow a strict dress code and photography is not allowed inside the chapel.